Please sign in to post.

Paris to Sicily

My friend and I would like to fly to Paris and Sicily . We have 12 nights. Not sure whether best to fly to Paris then Sicily and return to Paris or Return home from Sicily. Any insight would be appreciated.

Posted by
1090 posts

There aren’t a lot of good options when flying to and from Sicily. Where is home for you?

Posted by
8889 posts

Where is "home"?
Are there flights to "home" from anywhere in Sicily (Palermo, Catania)?
Even if not, there may be more optimal interchange points than Paris (Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Rome)

Posted by
1103 posts

Flights to Sicily are much more plentiful from Milan or Rome. When we went to Sicily, we flew to Rome, stayed for a couple of days, then continued on to Palermo. At the end of our time in Sicily, we flew from Catania to Rome, stayed overnight, then flew home. Flights from the US to Sicily on one ticket are very expensive and often involve multiple stops.

Posted by
11294 posts

Without knowing where "home" is, it's hard to give specific advice.

General advice: Assuming you are in the US, there are nonstop flights from lots of places to Paris. There are no nonstop flights from the US to Sicily. Furthermore, connections from the US to Sicily are often more complex, and more expensive, than you may expect or like, while connections to Paris will be much easier and probably cheaper.

Although Palermo is the larger city, Catania has the larger airport with more flight options. Both have tons of flights to Rome; a good number of flights to other Italian cities (the larger the city, the more options you have); and a variety of flights to other European destinations.

A great trick I learned on this forum: to see who flies nonstop from that airport, go to the airport's Wikipedia page.

You will probably find it logistically much easier to head to Sicily first. That's because a flight from Sicily to the US will most likely involve a separate overnight somewhere in Europe, to make sure you don't miss your US-bound flight. Of course, if you plan for this, that can work fine too. For example, US to Paris, Paris to Sicily, Sicily to Paris for just one night, then Paris to US the next day.

To find flight options within Europe, use Skyscanner: https://www.skyscanner.com/. Then, check directly on the airline's website to learn about all the rules and fees (and if you haven't flown within Europe before, there will be some things about these you aren't prepared for).

To find your flights to and from Europe, use Kayak https://www.kayak.com/flights or Matrix ITA https://matrix.itasoftware.com/. If you are flying to and from different places without an overnight in between (say, Chicago to Catania, then Paris to Chicago), use the "multi city" or "multiple flights" option, rather than the "one way" or "round trip" options.

If you are connecting on your way to Sicily, beware of changing airports. For instance, flights from the US mostly land at Paris Charles de Gaulle, but flights to Sicily may leave from Paris Orly. Not a problem if you're spending the night in Paris, but a big problem if you're trying to make this change in only a few hours!

Posted by
1090 posts

Airfrance and Easyjet fly direct from CDG to Catania. Check skyscanner.net

Posted by
4587 posts

I flew from Sicily last spring on an Air France flight from Catania (7:30am as I recall) through Rome and Paris then back to the US. Although it was 2 stops, it was all in a day.

It was the return portion of an open-jaw from the US to Rome, where I stayed a couple of days before flying RyanAir to Catania. It was far cheaper than a round-trip to Sicily, probably because of the initial Rome destination.

You might search for a similar combination, with Paris as your initial destination, and a return from Sicily back to the US on one ticket. Then a separate flight from Paris to Sicily.

Posted by
423 posts

Easyjet is a great discount airline and has flights from Paris to Catania- so enjoy Paris- then fly to beautiful Sicily!!! It takes about 2-2 1/2 hours from CDG to Catania.

Happy Travels💫✨

Posted by
38 posts

I see a couple of people have noted EasyJet as an option for this travel. We've tried avoiding them in the past, but I'm curious what experiences people have had with them.

Posted by
7811 posts

I have used Easy Jet more times in Europe than any other airline. Most of the flight routes are short. They don't have a first class seating section if that is what you are looking for. They kind of remind me of Southwest except the bags don't fly free but I travel weeks with just a carry on 22 x 14 x 8 inches and it fits the restrictions. You have to pay to choose where you want to sit but I never do that; when I check in, to save money I let the system default to select my seat for me and partner. It is not for everyone but my advice is to read and follow their rules like any other airline and no problem.

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks for all the useful tips - I regularly use skyscanner and had concluded that we would need to fly back to Paris before heading home. I appreciate the advise as well because we have never been to Sicily and while excited, about the trip we are not exactly rich and hints you provided really help.