Please sign in to post.

paris to rome

what type of ticket do i need for this trip? we want a 2 bed sleeper. please advise what way to go.

Posted by
6898 posts

You don't indicate when you need to travel. Next, there are two primary ways to travel. First is by train. You can catch the Artesia night train from Paris to Rome. The journey takes 19hrs. I see special non-refundable PREM fares of 35E for mid-June on the French train website (www.tgv-europe.com). If you can book 90 days before travel, these types of savings are available. A 2-bed sleeper will cost more. Perhaps Tim from Minneapolis can comment on this post. He's really the night train guy. Second is by air. There are frequent flights from either Paris-CDG or Paris-Orly to Rome-FCO. www.vueling.com (a Spanish budget airline) has budget flights from Paris-Orly to Rome-FCO for as low as 50E. But, you have to buy as early as you can on the budget tickets. The trip takes 2hrs.

Posted by
864 posts

We're doing this in reverse still... How about taking the 0800 or 1600 train to Turin. 5 something hours. Spend the night (cheap accommodation near train station). See a bit of Turin the next morning and then catch a train to Rome. Turin (Porta Susa station FYI) is very interesting. Also you won't wake up feeling like death warmed over (this being said from someone in her late 50's). At least check out www.raileurope.com for some itinerary ideas. I found there is no daytime train from Venice or Florence that's direct to Paris (goes through Milan or Pisa with a train change) and all were overnight. We're spending the morning in Venice, training to Turin (Torino Porta Susa), good night's sleep (shower in a.m. and breakfast), bit of site seeing and we're in Paris in the evening. Just a thought on alternative itineraries.

Posted by
2 posts

We will be arriving in London on june14, plan to take the train to Paris on that day and then take the over night train to Rome on that same day for three days and then back to Paris for three days. Just don't know what kind of ticket to buy for Paris to Rome and back.

Posted by
6898 posts

Why don't you fly from London to Rome? What you are describing will involve close to 30 hours to get from London Heathrow to Rome by underground to Kings Cross, St Pancras to Paris and an overnight train from Paris to Rome. It's rare that I see such a continuous travel "stretch" like you describe.