Please sign in to post.

Papal audience

Would like some input regarding doing the Papal audience while in Rome.
I understand that the tickets are free, but tours are also available. Any benefit
To booking a tour. Would like to see the Pope, but not sure if it will be too chaotic
To enjoy. Any words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated.

Posted by
11027 posts

No idea what the 'tour' you are looking at covers. We did the free ticket approach

There are crowds, but I would not call it chaotic. It is done weekly in the summer so they know how to 'organize' the event.

We spent the day starting with an 8AM arrival; the audience; the Basilica and Dome climb; Vespers and Mass and finally leaving around 7PM. For us a very fulfilling day. A non-Catholic, may not have the same reaction.

Posted by
15677 posts

I understand that the tickets are free, but tours are also available.
Any benefit To booking a tour.

I'm confused by this as well. There are no "tours" of Papal Audiences, only of the museums, basilica, gardens and scavi. If you wish to get tickets to attend an audience, this is your resource:

http://www.papalaudience.org

If you are looking for tours of other public areas of the Vatican, then this is your resource:

http://www.museivaticani.va/content/museivaticani/en.html

Posted by
7 posts

Yes, the tickets are free and you can reserve them online. Easy to pick up at St Patrick’s Church, the American Catholic home Church in Rome. If you want a good location for the audience and it is outside, I recommend getting there early, between 7:30 and 8:30 am. We just did this on 9/12/18. Had a great spot at 8:30 am. A tour for the Vatican and the Museum is a good idea and it is separate from the Audience. Make sure it is a small group, no bigger than 12. Go for an early tour, say at 7:30 am. Much easier to see the sites. We used the Roman Guy and had a great guide. Make sure you give yourself extra time after the tour to see the Basilica in more detail. It’s worth your time, whether or not you are Catholic.

Posted by
305 posts

A good spot for the Papal audience is anywhere next to the white wooden fences. He seemed to stop more near the corners of the path. I'm not sure when they brought out the camera's for the filming of the progress of the Pope but if you see one it might be a good place to stake your spot as he usually stopped by the cameras to kiss babies. You can move the folding chairs to sit in and stake-out your spot. As others have said get there early as there is security. The only reason to do a tour is if they provide a translation of service - otherwise you will only know what is being said when the English speaking priests are speaking. When I was there he gave us a rundown of what would be happening. That there would be speakers, the Pope would speak, he would bless you and your artifacts, there would be a song and then it would be over. The Pope spoke a couple of times and then the song so I was never really sure when the blessing happened. Getting the tickets were easy - nobody really looked at them.

Posted by
270 posts

Thank you all.. I see that the Vatican offers an official tour of the Musuems and the Sistene Chapel.
Wondering if anyone has done that tour and what your feedback is.

Posted by
270 posts

Planning on doing the Papal audience when visiting Rome. Wondering if visiting the Vatican
Museum and the Sistene Chapel that same Wednesday would result in even larger crowds than normal because
of the audience overflow.

Posted by
98 posts

Another reason to get near the fences is that every body in the square stands up when the Pope starts making his rounds and half of them stand on their chairs, completely blocking your view. I think I saw his cap once, between idiots standing on their chairs. During the various speeches and blessings, groups of folks would stand up and hold up banners likewise blocking the view of the steps. The big TVs are always visible but it's not quite the same thing. Interestingly enough we would have all had excellent views if everybody had just stayed in their bloody seats.

Posted by
1149 posts

The .org website posted by Kathy above gives you the instructions. If the office still uses the same procedure from a few years ago, you will get a nice letter with letterhead typed on a manual typewriter and originally signed by the official. The letter itself is a nice little keepsake.

We did a Vatican museum/chapel tour. Well worth it because of timed entry you do not have to suffer the general admission ticket lineup and the guide was very informative for the very low additional cost of the tour. We did ours on a Friday night tour in the summer which is slightly less crowded and a bit cooler. Our guide was a art history grad and gave us great talks on the frescos. You get radio headphones so you can hear the guide. Our tour took us to a room which is not available during regular admission. But this is not a big deal because the Vatican Museum is so huge, you cannot possible see and appreciate all the other rooms in a 3 hour tour. The guide will give you explanation before you enter the Sistine Chapel at the end of the tour because there is no speaking allowed inside. The only downside of the night tour is that St Peters Basilica is closed and you cannot take advantage of the bypass upon exiting the Sistine Chapel. We got around this by touring SPB before going to the Vatican Museum.