Please sign in to post.

Palio in Siena

I will be in Tuscany in August during the time that the 2nd Palio race will take place in Siena.

I have seen a few websites that sell tickets for bleacher seats, or at least places to stand that are near the bleachers. I have also seen a website that will let you book an apartment for the day that has a window or more overlooking the square. (Very expensive!)

I do not think I will have the patience or stomach to stand in the main square all day with the masses if I were to try to attend this race.

Has anyone attended, either by standing in the main square, or by paying for a window, bleacher or other place to watch the race? If there is any helpful feedback or advice, I would love to hear it.

Thanks!

Posted by
7766 posts

I haven't done this, but I urge you to find some reliable reports and make an informed decision. Seeing the Palio on the cheap is like going to the Ball Drop in Times Square NYC on the cheap. I'm referring to many Times Square visitors who have posted on TA NYC that they wore adult diapers .... enough about that.

I have heard of cafe's that sell their seats, which might be less than an apartment, but still expensive. Now, I told you I haven't been, but as I've read about it, the square is what's called in NYC "a frozen zone" for all day of the Palio. You can't go back to your hotel, you can't go to a different business on the square, you certainly can't re-enter the square if you somehow manage to get out.

This is a very special product, and even though we were nearby on a Palio day, we elected to write it off. We were not able to find it on the TV in our room, either.

Posted by
202 posts

Two years ago Siena held a third Palio race and we were fortunate enough to be there in the week leading up to it. Personally, I could not deal with the crowds during race day but we loved wandering around as the contrade made preparations for the race.
Watching as drum and flag groups practiced in different spaces, warmup parades, and neighborhood fundraising dinners made for some great memories.