Please sign in to post.

Palio in Siena

Has anyone ever attended this event and did you stand in the middle of the square? Palio tickets are running over 400 euros each this year and we are wondering if it is unbearable to stand in the middle of the square where the price is free.

Posted by
53 posts

I've read the same things about Palio. We will be attending the Pre-dinner the night before Palio and know we can view the parade as it goes through the streets of town before entering the plaza and are contemplating the costs of seats compared to the mass free standing in the center of the plaza for hours, or just
watching on a television somewhere since we will have been a part of the celebration throughout the days before and the day of Palio and might forego the masses.

Posted by
153 posts

I have not done it, but from what I hear, the worst of it is weather as it is typically quite hot and it sounds like a lot of standing throughout the ceremony and jockeying for position. There was a blog someone posted here awhile ago that was a bit of the day-in-the-life sort of thing. It sounded fun, but a bit strenous.

Posted by
362 posts

I have stood the Palio - just the practice race the day before - and it isn't easy. You have to get inside before it all starts, it is packed, the square (the Campo) is uneven, and it can be broiling hot. If you have any issues with your feet, stamina, heat, crowds, etc. it probably is a good idea to soak it all in around town, but actually catch the race on TV if you can not afford a seat somewhere. The whole town is full of atmosphere - you will have a great experience either way.