Please sign in to post.

Palio

I’m considering attending the Palio race in Siena August 16,2020 as part of a 9 day trip, please advise me who to contact to arrange the best ways to enjoy Palio- grandstand seats, favorite contrade dinner the night prior, where to stay ...?

What are other great places to visit on this trip ? I’ve visited Italy many times before but never visited the Dolomites , Bologna, or Modena. I would love to visit Ravello again .
Thanks

Js

Js

Posted by
1045 posts

The Palio is not just a one day event. For most of the preceding week the horses and rider are testing the track, in ever increasing costumes; the bands march the streets drumming up enthusiasm; the flag throwers practice their craft (you can easily find them - just listen for the drums that are always with them); and the crowds ever increasingly fill the streets and the Campo. Good luck getting a grandstand seat for the race and make sure you go to the bathroom first if you want to stand in the middle with the thousands of people who have to pee! I found one of the entrance ramps to the Campo a great place to see at least 2/3 of the race - I was at the starting/finish line. It was great fun but honestly the several previous days were just as much fun and lasted far longer than the race itself. The Alma Domus hotel has really been upgraded in recent years and is convenient, comfortable and affordable but it also sells out well in advance!

Where are you beginning your trip? That will better let people offer their thoughts about other places to more easily get to. You don't want to spend half your time on a train or bus! The Dolomites are great. I like basing myself in Castelrotto, which is a short bus ride north from Bolzano. Lucca, if you haven't been there, is quite special. Assisi is a very worthwhile regional train ride, 2-3 hours from either Rome or Florence. I always wish I stayed longer in Padova. There are so many wonderful places to discover, like there are so many wonderful flavors of gelato!

Posted by
2165 posts

My husband and I have included Italy on 13 of our European trips, but had never visited the Dolomites before this year. We were overwhelmed by their beauty. We stayed in Ortisei. But, yes, your trip is fairly short, so distance might rule for your choices.