Please sign in to post.

Palermo, Sicily

We have a stop on our cruise here and wondered if it would be wise to rent a car for the day? Also which little town would you recommend? i.e. Corelone; (is the Mafia Tour worth it)? The ships tours are more expensive than renting a car.

Thanks,

Jean

Posted by
2047 posts

If you just have a day, I’d stay in Palermo. The city has many great sites such as Cappella Palantina, open air markets and interesting neighborhoods. The main sites are walkable from the port. Also, you could take a taxi or bus to Cattedrale di Montreale to see the amazing mosaics.

Posted by
11156 posts

Visit Monreale, one of the world’s most beautiful cathedrals. Stay in Palermo with do much to see, enjoy and savor! If you must leave take a tour to to Segesta and Erice.

Posted by
8441 posts

Another vote for staying in Palermo. We were pleasantly surprised at how much there was to see and do there in the core part of the city. Note if you rent a car, its a big complex city and the very bad traffic might eat up much of your time there. I wouldn't risk getting back in time to leave the area. It might look close and easy on the map.

Posted by
6534 posts

If you decide to visit Monreale, you can pick up the AST bus at Piazza Independenza, in front of bar Sabariamo, that will take you there. The ride is about 40 minutes, but you won’t need to try and find parking in Monreale. Believe it’s €3 round trip.

Posted by
1206 posts

Oh my goodness, stay in Palermo! There are a week's worth (and more!!) of astounding experiences and historic and cultural sights to see. Take a look at Rick's new "Sicily" guide for a wonderful walk that hits many of the most important and amazing places to see. Def. get to the Palentine Chapel for mosaics (especially if you just have one day and if you don't make it to Monreale; probably only go to to one or the other). The Palermo Archeology Museum has some of the best pieces from the Selinunte Greek temple site. Also, you might want to take a "Palermo Street Food Tour" (google them) for 2-3 hours in the morning. There is so much to see and do in beautiful Palermo, with only one day, I strongly suggest not spending hours of that in a car, when there is so much to experience in Palermo.

Posted by
2455 posts

Another yes for staying in Palermo/Monreale. With just one day, you will be hard-pressed to choose from among 6 or 8 highlight things to see or do.

And, definitely another big no to renting a car, you won’t need it, and traffic and parking are horrendous.

Do be diligent with your valuables and belongings. While people are friendly and helpful, and I myself had no problems, someone I was traveling with had a couple guys on a motorbike pass by and grab her shoulder bag, pulling her down and dragging her for a while, during an initial walk after checking in at their hotel. No real harm done, and not too much stuff gone (a camera as I remember), but a heckuva welcome to Sicily! So be careful, and then enjoy!