Please sign in to post.

Overnight Train from Venice to Rome

I am trying to figure out the train processes. I read the rail passes are not not a great deal if you're only going to Italy, point to point is cheaper and you need reservations. I am considering an overnight train and I'm looking online and getting options for couchette for 4 or compartments. Rick Steve's guidebook says to get a "cuccetta" but then talks about an attendant in the compartment. Which one do I want? I will be traveling with my family of 4. Also, if I book online with trenitalia, is that the actual reservation AND ticket if I book a time? Anyone have suggestions on doing an overnight train and which to choose the compartment or the couchette and any other advice is greatly appreciated! Should we book online or wait till we get there and book it?
Thanks

Posted by
4555 posts

There is an intercity night train that takes 7.5 hours, arriving in Rome shortly after 7 am. But, as Steve says, you can't book this via the web because of credit card issues. The train also makes about nine stops along the route...more than 1/hour, so you're going to have to ask yourself how much sleep everyone is going to get in a four-couchette second-class compartment (the only ones available on this train.) Prices are about 60 Euro per person.
You could try booking this when you get to Italy, since none of the third party firms like RailEurope offer it. But if they're gone, you'll have to be prepared to take one of the fast daytime trains, and spend an extra night in a hotel in either Venice or Rome.

Posted by
1170 posts

If you will be sleeping on the train, you will need to have your luggage with you and/or locked to a luggage rack. Thieves can and do jump on the trains while in the station and grab what they can. I doubt a simple lock will deter them however. They have even broken into couchettes to rob passengers. There are instances that I have read about over the last year regarding people being robbed on overnight trains in Eastern and Southern Europe. Keep your money, passport, and other personal belongings close, and one eye open.

http://www.reidsguides.com/t_tr/t_tr_safety.html

Is an overnight train necessary?

Posted by
15 posts

Thanks for the feedback and the quick responses. We've decided to do the fast train in the morning. My son is in Italy as a student, do you think it would be a good idea for him to book our train tickets there? It looks like there might be discounts for booking ahead that we might be able to benefit.
Would he need to go to the train station or find a travel agency there, would the travel agency be more expensive?

Posted by
4555 posts

Get him to ask for the Meno 15 and Meno 30 fares. They're 15% and 30% off the regular second-class fare of 73 Euro. Have him double-check, but they allow for one change and at least a partial refund up to 24 hours before departure...the rescheduling, I believe, has to be on a train that still has these discounts available, or you'll have to top up the fare to regular price. I also seem to remember that he should be able to get these tickets up to 120 days in advance...and, of course, the sooner he can purchase them, the better chance he has of getting the discount tickets, which are limited in number.

Posted by
1018 posts

Since venice is really not too far from Roma, I suggest taking the day train and forget about the night train. Take the faster ES train and the trip is about 4.5 hours.

Having your son make the arrangements while he is in Italy is a good strategy, as well. Keep in mind that you can make the arrangements the day before you depart or the actual day you are leaving. The stations have kiosk machines available in 6 or 7 languages. This is a very simple process.

Buon viaggio,

RB