Please sign in to post.

Overnight train from Rome to Venice

This is our first trip in Italy. I have seen info about an overnight train leaving from Rome late and arriving in Venice about 5:30 in the morning. We would be leaving Rome on Sunday, October 17 for Venice. Does anyone have information on where to get the info on this train and how to buy tickets?

Posted by
9 posts

Thanks for the info. One of the reasons we wanted to take the overnight train is to avoid one night's hotel in Rome. Our cruise starts the next morning and we would plan to go right to the ship from the train, get a few hours of rest and then go out to explore Venice.

Posted by
23585 posts

To answer your question directly, go to Trenitalia for the schedule. Since schedules are only posted about 90 days out use a Sunday date in August. Schedule change little from quarter to quarter. The train leaves roughly around 12:30. That run, because it is so short, is really not a good usage of a night train. The Trenitalia site doesn't like Am credit cards so might have to purchase through RailEurope although I try to avoid them because of their higher prices. I would just buy the ticket after arriving in Italy.

You need to be certain that your ship will allow to board that early. Our experience with cruises is that you generally board in the PM.

Posted by
17284 posts

Unless you plan to sleep sitting up in seats (not most people's idea of a fun night), you'll pay nearly as much for two couchette beds as you would for a hotel room. And since you can't book in Trenitalia with an American credit card, you'll have to wait until you get to Italy to book and buy tickets---which may be too late.

Rail Europe doesn't show this train, but they may be able to sel you tickets---for a price---if you call.

All things considered, it's not a good plan. If you don't want to stay in Rome for the night, why not take the train to someplace close to Venice where hotel prices are lower? Verona comes to mind, or Padua. Then you can get a good night's sleep, have breakfast, and head to Venice in time to check in for your cruise.

Posted by
8700 posts

The night train departs at 22:36 and arrives at 05:26, making the travel time 6hr50min. It makes twelve stops.

A month or so ago I called the experts at Budget Europe Travel Service to ask why this train isn't listed on either raileurope.com or italiarail.com. They said that Rail Europe doesn't sell tickets for domestic night trains in Italy. Since night trains often sell out in advance, you could book this train by phoning the German Rail Call Center. Dial 011 (US international access code) + 44 (country code for Germany) + 8718 80 80 66.

Posted by
1170 posts

Skip the night train, it's not far enough to justify this. Stay in Rome an extra night and get a good night's rest (unless of course there is a transit strike scheduled the next day). You won't get much sleep on the train.

Posted by
8700 posts

Mike,

Thanks for correcting me. I see that the night train does appear on the Italiarail site.