Please sign in to post.

Overnight in Rome

Does anyone have recommendations on where to stay in Rome for one overnight? Flying into Rome in early June; our flight gets in midafternoon, so I'm figuring that it makes more sense to stay over in Rome and head out to Florence the next morning. I'm looking for recommendations on decent hotels near the Roma Termini for that night. Alternately, would it be better to just take an evening train to Florence and stay there an extra night? Thanks for any ideas.
Susan

Posted by
11613 posts

If you are not interested in seeing Roma, you could just go on to Firenze. There is at least one train from FCO airport to Firenze, or you can take a fast train from Termini. I suggest you not buy tickets for the train in advance, in case there is a delay for your flight.

Posted by
15802 posts

Susan, unless there's something you want to do in Rome, I'd just go directly to Florence. The fast trains will get you there in just 90 minutes from Roma Termini or Tiburtina.

Posted by
23261 posts

For quick, one night stays in Rome we use Hotel Contilla, about one block due south of the south doors. Assuming your are coming from the US that day, staying in Rome gives a slight advantage of being about walk about some in the sun and reducing jet lag. Getting straight on a train after arriving will put you to sleep in about ten minutes. You could also buy discounted tickets for the next day. That savings would cover most of your hotel bill for that night.

Posted by
11 posts

Thank you for the tips! We will be returning to Rome at the end of our stay and will be there for 3 nights.

Posted by
15152 posts

There are at least 2 train options per hour (often 4 per hour) from the Rome airport station to Florence.

Most require a change at Roma Termini or Roma Tiburtina station, although there are two trains departing from the airport that goes straight to Florence without need to change in Rome (the last one departs at 3:08pm from the airport).

The last train you can take to make it to Florence the same day, departs from the airport at 7:57pm and, after a change at Rome Tiburtina, you will get to Florence at 10:35pm.

So likely no need to stay in Rome the first night, unless you want to.

Posted by
212 posts

We stayed here http://www.bbqueen.it/eng/camere.asp for one night several years ago. We got into Rome around 4 and had decided to not climb right on the train to Venice. The place was great. The rooms look just like the pictures and are immaculate, the beds are comfortable, it is inside a courtyard so it is silent, it is about a 3 minute walk from Termini. Julia even had an early breakfast for us as our train to Venice was a little early. The neighborhood is interesting and her dinner suggestion put us n the middle of a neighborhood restaurant with great food and no other non-Italians. (She even called and told them we were on our way so greeted with open arms)