Please sign in to post.

Our Itinerary, thoughts please!

Would appreciate comments, insights into our itinerary for this October. Thanks very much.
- Arrive Rome
- Rome - 3 nights
- Rome last day: early morning - Vatican tour, then train in afternoon to Orvieto
- Orvieto - 1 night
- Rent car next morning, drive to hill towns and Volterra area, 2 nights near Volterra
- Drop off car Florence airport, taxi into Florence
- Florence - 3 nights
- Train to Venice
- Venice - 3 nights
- Train to Milan early morning; Milan tour P.M., then stay at hotel at airport - 1 night
- Fly out of Milan next morning

Posted by
23343 posts

Looks very reasonable. Far better than many of the first itinerary posted here.

Posted by
15269 posts

Looks good.

Maybe you want to do something lighter on the last day in Rome otherwise you will have no time to see Orvieto. The Vatican requires hours and then you have to make it back to the hotel to pick up the luggage and then to the station.

The only rental company in Orvieto is Hertz. When you return it in Florence you don't need to go all the way to the airport. Hertz has an office on Via del Sansovino, 53. That is conveniently located between the A1 freeway exit (Exit: FIRENZE SCANDICCI) and the city center. It's closer to Vokterra than the airport and the taxi ride to the city center is shorter and cheaper. That location is however closed on Sat afternoon and Saturdays (only the airport location is open on weekends)

Posted by
11364 posts

Well done! You might want to look at staying in Central Milan. More atmospheric and unless you flight is ridiculously early, you'd have time to get to Malpensa via train from Cadorna Station.

Posted by
6 posts

Thanks everyone! Appreciate your comments very much! And will make a few adjustments to plan! This is our first trip to Italy, so trying hard to fit everything in.

Posted by
1501 posts

Looks perfect to me. Best first time itinerary I've ever seen. I would change nothing.

Posted by
6 posts

Thanks Donna! Our next step is to practise packing everything we want to take into our Rolling Carry-on bags just purchased. Should be an interesting endeavor!

Posted by
254 posts

Looks good to me. The only thing I would recommend is a day for Cinque Terre, sometime after Orvieto, before Venice.

Posted by
11613 posts

I like it, take Roberto's advice about the Vatican.

I think he meant that the rental office in town is closed on Saturday afternoon and all day Sunday.

Posted by
6 posts

Thanks Julie and Zoe!
Yes, we realized the Hertz office is closed on Sunday and that is why we have to return to the airport location. We are arriving in Florence on the Sunday.