Please sign in to post.

Ostia Antica

How long does it take to get from Rome's Termini station to Ostia Antica? I read that we take the Metro to Pirimide then train. Should we pack a lunch or is there somewhere to buy food? We will be there mid October. Thanks in advance.

Posted by
223 posts

Your directions are correct ... metro or bus to the Pirimide train station, then ~ 30 minutes to the Ostia Antica stop. Another 10-minute walk to the entrance gate for Ostia Antica. A wonderful place anytime, but particularly on a pretty fall afternoon. Don't know if picnicking is allowed (maybe not?) but there is a very nice cafe/cafeteria (it's Italy, after all - would you expect less?) on site. Check its hours for the day you visit ... you may need to be flexible with your plan. Have fun!

Posted by
7674 posts

It’s less than an hour to get there. There was a tiny cafe on site.

October should be a nice time to be there! It was hotter when we explored the amazing grounds.

Posted by
114 posts

I was there in December 2022, and cafeteria was closed for renovations. It was pretty torn up, so I can imagine that it is still under construction. There are a few picnic tables and trees to sit under, so packing a lunch is a good idea. There is a little sandwich stand right outside of the train station, too.

Posted by
7683 posts

It’s been a while since I was there, but I took a picnic lunch with me that I purchased in Rome and ate it on the grass while people watching. I loved Ostia Antica and I’m so glad you’re going. It’s such a beautiful and historic place. It’s a very easy ride from Rome. I think it took me about 30 minutes.