Please sign in to post.

Ostia Antica

Looking online for tours to Ostia Antica, and it seems there are none in November. Here's a silly question....is this site closed after Oct 31? (or just official tours?) We want to visit the first week of November...haven't decided on a day yet (NOT Nov 1..I know it's a holiday!)

Any one know if the site is open after Nov 1?

Posted by
683 posts

It is not necessary to go on a tour- Ostia is open to individuals and is easily reached by metro. It is well worth the time and small effort. Not sure about dates it is open.

Posted by
29 posts

I was there about 10 years ago and I agree that it is very easy to get to. We took a local train from Rome. We really enjoyed strolling around and didn't feel the need for a tour. I can't imagine it being closed after a certain date as it is an old town, not an enclosed musuem or anything. Enjoy!

Posted by
934 posts

Take the metro.Closed on sunday and open 0830-1700 in winter.This from Steves book.

Posted by
473 posts

When we went several years ago, we just took a local train, which took only one metro ticket. Ostia Antica offered great audio tour machine for rent. Additionally, after we entered, there were several archeology students and professors, offering personalized tours. These were not officially offered by Ostia Antica, just archeologists looking to share their knowledge and earn some extra cash.

Posted by
45 posts

Ellen,
You can rent a very detailed audio tour when you get there. The best way to get there is take the bus to the pyramid (yes, they have a pyramid in Rome) Go to the metro station across the street, take that to Ostia Antiga. Second to last stop, I believe. Then, it is a quick walk to the Ruins. Very well worth the trip. I assure you the audio guide is very good and detailed. No tour needed!