Please sign in to post.

Orvieto vs. Assisi

I know there have been other threads tackling this topic, so forgive the redundancy. Our family of 6 will be traveling from Rome to Florence. Our tour guide set up a stop in Orvieto on the way, which sounds lovely. However, I would love to stop in Assisi instead on our way to Florence. My question is: Is it logistically feasible to travel from Rome to Assisi and on to Florence in one day, or am I creating a headache? Would it be better to stick with the Orvieto plan?

Posted by
13952 posts

Are you going to be traveling with the tour guide or will you be taking public transport? Thinking about where you would leave luggage if you are on public transport....

Posted by
1161 posts

Orvieto is a lovely town, and if you have never been, it is worth the stop over. The cathedral is amazing, and the underground tunnel tour is cool. Beautiful views on the way up, and there is luggage storage by the train station.

Posted by
82 posts

We are scheduled for a transfer on that day, so storing luggage will not be a concern.

Posted by
656 posts

Orvieto is certainly much easier in my opinion from Rome on your way to Florence. Orvieto is one of our favorites and we've visited many times. Only once to Assisi (we drove from Orvieto and spent 3 days there) and loved it also.

Posted by
1046 posts

I can't say enough wonderful things about Assisi! I was part of an international music festival there for 17 years - 2 1/2 weeks each year. Assisi is like no other place I've ever been. For well of 2000 years it has been considered a place of peace by Christians, Romans and Etruscans. And, I would say, by tourists as well. The art (ancient, medieval and contemporary), the views, the food, the leather goods, the olive oil, and the peaceful Piazza Comune all come together to give you an experience you will not soon forget. It is good for your mind, your heart and your soul.

Posted by
2714 posts

I loved Assisi too. That said, I think it’s too far and out of the way to stop on a trip from Rome to Florence. Orvieto is closer and more convenient and sounds wonderful. (I’ve never been.)