Please sign in to post.

Orvieto day trip from Rome?

Any thoughts on a day trip to Orvieto?

Posted by
1025 posts

Orvieto is an easy day trip from Rome, with many trains making the journey in a little over an hour. Upon arrival at the train station, there is a funicular/angled train that whips you to Piazza Cahan, and buses leave the Piazza for a circular trip around the town. I think Orvieto is an under-appreciated gem of a destination, which becomes magic at night after the crowds depart. The Duomo is not to be missed, and St. Patrick's Well is a fun descent into the ground on a hot day.

Posted by
11731 posts

Its a 60-90 minute train ride, so certainly close enough.

Enjoyed our time there as part of an RS tour.

If you have a day for a day trip, Orvieto is a certainly a good choice.

Depending on what you are looking for, Ostia Antica is also something to consider.

Posted by
93 posts

Thanks!

We considered Ostia Antica but think we've had our fill of Rome (4 1/2 days) and are ready to see something new!

Gambling that we will be able to get tickets at the station tomorrow morning....

Posted by
11613 posts

It's a regionale train, tickets will not be a problem. Remember to validate.

Also, your funivia ticket in Orvieto is also good for the bus that goes to the Duomo.

Posted by
93 posts

Zoe, you mean we have to validate it like on a bus? No conductor?

Posted by
792 posts

at the station, on the platform , get your ticket punched at one of the machines before boarding

Posted by
2479 posts

You date-stamp your train ticket in a machine in the station, shortly before getting on the train.

Posted by
715 posts

Kimberly yes you have to validate it. There are machines all over the place to slide your ticket in and get it date and time stamped. This is an old machine that still exist in some stations, new ones are white and green. enter link description here

Posted by
93 posts

Oh gosh. I had no idea. Thank you!

So this is for trains when you don't have a reserved seat? Or just specific routes?

Do you think we should buy the return tickets at the same time or when we get to Orvieto?

Posted by
3812 posts

You have to time-stamp all regionale trains tickets not purchased on-line.
From the moment you time stamp, the ticket can be used on any regionale making that route and leaving within the following 4 hours.

There is No need to time-stamp regionale tickets bought on-line. The validity period begins with the departure time of the booked train.

It seems you have internet access, why don't you just purchase the tickets to Orvieto on-line?

Posted by
7737 posts

If you're really confident in your departure date and time, go ahead and buy your tickets online, saving you the trouble of buying them at the station. Then no need to validate. (FYI, validation is done to prevent someone from using the same ticket twice - not a concern if the ticket is good for only one specific date/time.)

Orvieto is lovely. Have a great time. Do you know about taking the funicular or a bus up into the upper town?

Posted by
93 posts

I don't have a printer. Do they accept digital?

Posted by
15771 posts

I've seen a lot of people who had their tickets on their phones when the conductor came round to check on the train. I was going to try it, but after not easily pulling it up on my iPod, I just pulled out the hard copy back-up in my pocket. . . . troglodyte☺

Posted by
93 posts

Same here.

We will see how it goes. I bought the tickets and have them on my phone. Fingers crossed!

Posted by
328 posts

We are in Orvieto now and loving It! (Although the heat is a little oppressive in the afternoon). It has a laid back feel that would be welcomed after 4 or 5 days on Rome. We are headed to Roma on Thursday.

Posted by
93 posts

Hey everyone, thanks for the input. We went to Orvieto and it was a gorgeous respite from Rome. We saw TREES!

I bought the tix online and saved a screen shot on my phone of them. It was not a problem at all. In fact, the conductor didn't even blink an eye, just asked me to zoom in on the bar/QR code. Easy!