Please sign in to post.

Orvieto

Can anybody suggest things to see and do in Orvieto? Is there any place where you can see olives being pressed into oil or a good winery?

Posted by
2030 posts

I only spent an afternoon in Orvieto and am not an expert, but it has a beautiful duomo well worth seeing -- and fantastic views of the valley floor from the walls of the town. I believe there's a deep ancient well there (it is featured in one of Rick Steves' shows) that looks pretty fantastic. The center of town is very nice with lots of pottery shops.

Posted by
1633 posts

Check out the website visitorvieto.com It has lots of info on the attractions in the town. We enjoyed Orvieto last summer--stayed there for 2 nights. Get out and walk the narrow streets that seem like alleys--it's very quaint. Enjoy a bottle of their local white wine--Classico. Have fun.

Posted by
32213 posts

LB,

A few suggestions.....

As mentioned in a previous Post, St. Patrick's Well is a very interesting historical site in Orvieto. It's close to the top of the Funicular (to the right when you're facing the town). The double-helix construction was extremely challenging for those that built it, so the Italians use the saying "as difficult as building St. Patrick's Well" to signify anything difficult.

The Underground Tour is very interesting also. Check at the T.I. when you arrive in town for information on times, etc. It provides a good overview of the history of Orvieto, from ancient times and through the war to the present. I found the story about the pigeon lofts quite interesting.

Again as someone mentioned, the wonderful "striped" Duomo is definitely worth a visit. The architecture is incredible, and there's a very elaborate frescoe on the ceiling in one of the "side rooms" at the end (right side). The history of this is very interesting, but I can't recall the details (check Rick's book).

If you have the time, a day trip to the small hill town of Civita di Bagnoregio would be great. It's one of Rick's favourite hill towns, and quite a unique location with lots of history (the posts in front of the Church were apparently built by the Etruscans).

Of course, as with anywhere else in Italy, enjoy the food and the Vino!

Happy travels!

Posted by
12172 posts

I'm not sure I'm adding anything but will mention the things we enjoyed most in Orvietto.

First the Duomo. Orvietto has a major cathedral, which is unusual for hill towns. It was the site of the Corpus Christi miracle and has the blood stained alter cloth in one of the chapels. They close that chapel around five or six in the afternoon so plan to see it earlier in the day.

The underground tunnels are great. They go back to when the etruscans first dug cisterns to collect water. There are more than one underground tour. I've only taken one, arranged at the TI, so you might get some other perspectives.

St. Patrick's well as previously mentioned.

Orvietto sits on cliffs rather than a hilltop. There are great views of the countryside all over. As you approach Orvietto it's also a unique look.

I didn't see any winemaking or olive pressing. I'm sure if you are there at the right time of year, it will be available. Wine tasting opportunities should be readily available nearby. There won't be a winery in town unless maybe a tasting room of a nearby winery but there will be wine shops.

We also found surprisingly good restaurants/cafes in Orvietto but don't recall names, sorry.

Posted by
411 posts

We loved Orvieto. The view is amazing-- the duomo fantastic particularly the Signorelli frescoes and the duomo museum. We stayed at B and B Valentina which was clean comfy and well located. Great pottery food and wine.

Posted by
689 posts

Look for good Gelato... while facing the front of the Duomo wander to the left side of the piazza and toward the back. yummo