Please sign in to post.

Orvieto

Hi all, if we take a train to Orvieto and stay at an inn, are there taxis to take us out at night to dinner and to our inn etc. if it’s far from the train station? Thank you!

Posted by
2487 posts

You cross the historical centre in 15 mins on foot. In front of the station you'll find the funicolare which brings you up the hill (buy tickets at the shop in the station). Here is a map.

Posted by
16893 posts

Without a car, it's easier to stay in the hilltop town, rather than at a rural agriturismo outside the city limits.

Posted by
5211 posts

I agree with Laura.
Do consider staying in the heart of the historic center of Orvieto and thereby experience the atmosphere of this beautiful hilltown.

I enjoyed my stay at Hotel Virgilio conveniently located on Piazza del Duomo.

Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
13 posts

Ok thank you!! We were looking at a B and B that says it’s a 4 minute drive from that area. It just looked so beautiful and peaceful like an English Inn with the gardens and views. Trying to figure it all out!

Posted by
491 posts

I would opt for the B&B or an Agriturismo in the area and rent a car. From Orvieto you can explore an enormous and wonderful area North to Sienna, Montepulciano, East to Tarquinia, West to Spoleto...wherever you want to go...the roads are good. E35 gives you a fast option to speed up the coming and going and when you want to explore Orvieto there is plenty of good parking available. Otherwise, if you stay in Orvieto everything is walkable..
The car rental is directly across the street from the train station...renting a car is the easy out and it's not very expensive.

Posted by
13 posts

We aren’t renting a car. We are taking a train from Rome there for the day or a quick overnight. That is all the time we have. I just wanted to get a feel for that area and explore a bit. Anyone familiar with La Magnolia, B and B Ippolito or B and B Podere Pescara as far as location?

Posted by
4105 posts

We, daughter, granddaughter, and I stayed at pondere Pescara 3 years ago. Great for a 2 night stay, but you'd need a car. It's location is about 3-4 miles from town off a busy road behind a gated drive.

B&B Magnolia is in the center of town.

Posted by
328 posts

We stayed at La Magnolia in 2009 and loved it. Right in the middle of town. We had the apartment which (at the time) was only a few more euro than the standard rooms. Word of caution however, the bedroom faces the main street. It can be a little noisy in the evening.

Posted by
1046 posts

Orvieto is a beautiful walking city on top of a plateau. I really suggest staying up at the top. From the train station it is easy to get up there - others have already mentioned that. Since you would be on a plateau (pretty flat), the walk around the perimeter will give you some amazing views of the very beautiful countryside. The city itself is also full of interesting things to explore. And great food and wine! The main streets will keep you busy. Try the smaller alley ways - they'll keep you enthralled. But I find that is true in just about every city and town in Italy. Remember: you're on top of a plateau so you can't go up and you don't want to go down.

Posted by
1944 posts

I concur to stay in Orvieto if you don't have a car, but anyone who's been there has gazed from the overlook plateau to the Umbrian valley below, and in the sea of green has seen La Badia di Orvieto:

http://www.labadiahotel.it/

It's an 11th century monastery turned into a 4-star hotel, about as picturesque as can be. Orvieto proper is beautiful, but this is on my bucket list for my next trip.

Enjoy your planning!

Posted by
1944 posts

Yes. If you are facing the front of the cathedral, turn right and follow the walkway at the end of the piazza not very far, to a tree-laden overlook that has many well-fed cats roaming. Stand at the brick wall looking out over the valley, and no more than 5 km away is the monastery-turned-hotel. Spectacular.

Posted by
598 posts

Orvieto is one of my favorite places in Italy. It is beautiful and worthy of an overnight stay, a few nights if possible. I would also highly recommend La Magnolia B&B. Beautiful rooms, very nice owner, great location just up the street from the Duomo. Stay in the historical center to get the most out of your visit, however brief it may be.

Posted by
13 posts

So great to hear! That inn unfortunately is sold out but we are staying close by and are very excited about our excursion. Thanks everyone!