Please sign in to post.

Orvieto?

We will be in Italy next month. Orvieto looks like a nice calm place, but sounds like there might not be much to do in November. We were thinking of staying there for three nights. One day take a bus to Civita. One day take the train to Florence. Is that too long a stay in Orvieto? Is it feasible to do a day trip to Florence? (We have been to Italy before and have been to Rome and Florence and other hilltowns various times.) Thanks for any input.

Posted by
247 posts

Maybe two nights would be better in Orivieto due to the time of year. We were there in April and took the bus to Civita, what a highlight! We loved our stay at Casaselita. A B&B with a county setting yet a few walking minutes to Orvieto. Check the web site. You will be made to feel like family wanting to stay longer. Have you been to Siena? Another great place to stay is "Hotel Alma Domus". I don't think Florence would be a day trip from Orvieto. With Siena you would have more choices for day trips....San Gimigano, Montalcino, Pienza, Montepulciano and Florence. What ever you decide I know you will have a wonderful trip after all it's ITALY!!!!

Posted by
3112 posts

If this will be your first visit to Orvieto, 3 nights might be OK even in November. There are a number of worthwhile sights in Orvieto, and those could easily fill a day to a day-and-a-half of sightseeing. If you want to try Tenuta le Velette wines while in Orvieto but don't plan to visit the winery, you can buy them at a wine shop named Umbria Top located at Via Girabaldi 32 (near Piazza della Republica). Florence is a 2.5 hour train ride each way, which I consider a bit long for a day trip. Chiusi for the Etruscan sights and/or Montepulciano for its charm might be a better alternative. Trains to Chiusi are frequent and take a little over a half hour. Bus from there to Montepulciano is another 50 minutes each way, and they're timed to connect with the trains. If you go to Montepulciano, definitely try Osteria del Conte for lunch. Also, note that train service from Orvieto to Rome has been reduced with the new schedules effective in September. I would recommend buying your tickets a couple of days in advance to be guaranteed a seat reservation on the IC train. Some trains were fully reserved when I traveled on on October 1, althought I was fortunate and did find a seat without a reservation.

Posted by
15 posts

Just returned from Italy and spent our last night in Orvieto. Not nearly enough time there. It is so beautiful, charming and friendly. Stayed at Hotel Corso which was very clean and family run...friendly and speak English. Breakfast included. Great location. Secure parking available if you are driving. Shopping there more fun than most other towns. Ate at a small Trattoria about two blocks up on left from hotel...chef's name is Florence and she even prepared something not on the menu. Only speaks Italian but we seemed to be able to communicate. I had pasta with wild boar ragut...outstanding! Followed Rick Steves recommendations much of time. Restaurants he recommended were either closed or full the night we were there.

Posted by
57 posts

I love Orvieto and there is plenty to keep you busy. Definitely take a day trip to Civita. There is nothing like it. If you are there on a Saturday, there is a great market in Piazza de Popolo in the morning. Great people watching. Piazza Republica is also great for people watching. Don't miss the Duomo, my favorite facade in all of Italy. And go inside-the Chapel of St. Brizio is fascinating. Other worthwhile sights-Ungerground Orvieto, St. Patrick's Well and the Fortress ruins next to it. Spend some time just wandering, and make sure that you get to the edge to look out over the Umbrian countryside. Try to have dinner at Trattoria del Moro-near the tower, just off the main drag. The "nidi" is amazing. IMO Florence is too far for a day trip, but three nights sounds like a good amount of time.

Posted by
7737 posts

I too have to say I think there's plenty in Orvieto to justify three nights, although November weather might influence that. To see what I mean, here are some pics and video we took on our trip to Orvieto in May 2011. Happy travels.

Posted by
719 posts

Orvieto is a beautiful town. We spent 3 days in May and enjoyed it. You could do two and feel just as satisfied. One warning regarding Civita: it will be DEAD in November. We stayed there in May and the crickets weren't even in town. Totally dead. I can't imagine what it will be like in November. While I never steer anyone from a place, depending how much time you have in Italy, you may want to consider skipping that town until you return in July.
Regarding train to florence, if I recall correctly, it was about 2 hours, do totally feasible in my opinion. Keep in mind that Florence has two train stations...