Please sign in to post.

Orvieto

Traveling without a car to this city. Prefer lodging with a view of Orvieto...
is there a clear walking area if I choose a "outskirt" villa or B and B?
Any suggestions for these accommodations?
Thanks!

Posted by
8 posts

Hi kglessner,

I have not been to Orvieto, but from what I've read in the RS Italy 2015 guidebook, if you are travelling by train it is easier to stay in the town center.

If you prefer to stay on the "outskirt" of town, the book does recommend Casa Selita B&B just outside the town center "(best for drivers, but workable for adventurous train travellers)". www.casaselita.com

Posted by
8162 posts

TripAdvisor.com has a list of bed and breakfasts in Orvieto. It's one of our favorite hilltowns, and just over an hour via train from Rome Termini.

When you get off the train, there is a funicular that hauls you up the hill to the city.

Posted by
11613 posts

The funivia ticket is also good for the bus that goes to the main parts of town (one line goes directly to Piazza del Duomo, the other circuits around the city).

Posted by
15593 posts

The funicular runs from the train station up the hill (where all the sights are). You would want a place that is walking distance from the train station, or one that is on a bus route that goes either to the station, or preferably up the hill (I assume there are such things). But why would you want to "commute" when you can stay in the heart of the historic center and be able to return to your hotel for a rest during the day, or to freshen up before dinner - and then only have to walk 5-10 minutes back to your bed after dinner. The funicular only runs until 8.30 p.m.

Posted by
1054 posts

It's real easy to reach via train. The train drops you off across the street from the Funicular. You take that up to the top of the town. I stayed inside the city and enjoyed it. I don't know what's around the city on the outskirts for a place to stay with a view. Rick has some good places listed in his book inside the town. I stayed at Valentina's BnB and would stay there again.

Posted by
2026 posts

Concerning a view of Orvieto: We spent only one long day trip from Rome last spring. When we arrived that morning, there was no view...the town was completely obscured by fog or clouds ? though it was not an overcast day and there wasn't a drop of rain. We never saw Orvieto from the ground until we descended that evening for the train back to Rome. On the other hand, looking over the Umbrian landscape from the town was like stepping into the background of a Renaissance painting. We walked all over the town and it was beautiful everywhere we went. We are now Classico drinkers. The ceramics are beautiful as well and fun to stroll and shop. Have a great trip.

Posted by
1633 posts

When you arrive by train in Orvieto, you arrive in the city at the bottom of the actual hilltown. There is nothing to do or see in the city. To really enjoy Orvieto, you need to go up to the hilltown. Like previous posters indicated, you take the funicular which is by the train station, up to the hilltown. This hilltown is wonderful, especially in the evening when all of the tourists have left. Here is where I've stayed in the hilltown itself: http://www.valentinohotel.com/en/

If you want to stay at a B&B on the outskirts of the town, just be aware that that would probably require a taxi. This city is quite large and walking may not be possible.

Posted by
782 posts

I stayed at the Duomo Hotel about 100 steps from the Piazza where the Duomo is,great location for walking to the town and shopping.
Mike

Posted by
1018 posts

Using a train to reach Orvieto is very easy. The taxi stand is just outside the station and the funicular is across the piazza to take you up the hill to the main part of town.

We stayed at the Hotel Corso on Via Cavour and thought the place was small, but nice. The staff was terrific and it is located a few hundred meters directly up the street from the funicular.

The town closes and rolls up the sidewalks at 9pm.

Buon viaggio,

Posted by
6 posts

I have a related question - we are staying in the town center in Orvieto, but have an early train to catch the next morning (7:30 am). I don't think the funicular runs that early. Is there an obvious way to walk to the train station down from the town center, or should we just try to get a taxi, or some other option? We are strong/fit walkers so no issue there. Thanks!

Posted by
2023 posts

We also liked Hotel Corso--very conveniently located. It has a nice rooftop terrace and breakfast was included. It is a short walk to the Duomo, museum, etc.

Posted by
1166 posts

The points everyone made about lodging inside the old town are valid because you are arriving by train.

However, Casa Selita is located outside the walls and down the hill on the opposite side from the funicular and train station and is easily accessed by walking up the stairs close to the B&B !

We loved our stay with Selita. After sitting out on our patio and balcony to enjoy a bottle of wine, she furnished flashlights so we could walk through her olive grove - we felt like kids - and were easily able to walk up the steps into the old town to wander the streets and enjoy dinner. It was a charming B&B !

Many times, if you stay OUT side of the main areas of hill towns/villages, you are not able to walk into the old towns. In this case, it was easy and enjoyable !