Please sign in to post.

Opinions on Rome to Milan 2 week Itinerary

Having analysis paralysis trying to tweak our 2 week italy itinerary (following a short stopover in London). It feels a bit rushed but still doable. Just feel we may be shortchanging CT and Bologna. Not too concerned with spending too much time in Milan, and perhaps should have booked flight from Venice but flights are already booked. My spouse and I are mid 30s and in good shape, we are foodies, and are ok with busy sightseeing days but hope for a few relaxing/meandering days. Some thoughts I have are to:
- Delete one day from Rome (day trip to Naples/Pompeii) to add to CT or Bologna.... But really want true Napoli pizza!
-Omit Cinque Terre and spend time elsewhere.... but would love to spend some time on the coast!
-Omit Bologna and spend time elsewhere.... But have heard some great things about the food and ambiance!
Please Help!

Thurs 9/26 Travel day
Fri 9/27 1/2 day London
Sat 9/28 London
Sun 9/29 1/2 day Rome (Depart mid morning, Arrive Rome afternoon)
Mon 9/30 Rome
Tues 10/1 Rome (Day trip to Napoli/ Pompeii?)
Wed 10/2 Rome
Thurs 10/3 Rome-1/2 day Florence (Leave early for Florence)
Fri 10/4 Florence (Tuscany day trip)
Sat 10/5 Florence
Sun 10/6 Florence -Pisa-1/2 day Cinque Terre (Leave Florence early, Stop in Pisa/ Arrive CT afternoon)
Mon 10/7 Cinque Terre
Tues 10/8 1/2 day Cinque Terre -Bologna (Leave CT midday, arrive bologna evening)
Wed 10/9 Bologna-Venice (Leave Bologna midday, arrive Venice evening)
Thurs 10/10 Venice
Fri 10/11 Venice
Sat 10/12 1/2 day Milan (Leave Venice early/ arrive Milan midday)
Sun 10/13 1/2 day Milan (Depart 1PM , no plans, travel day)

Posted by
15644 posts

It's more efficient to go to the CT from Rome, then to Florence (you can stop in Pisa for a 1/2 day on the way there if you leave the CT early).

I would not bother to stop in Bologna for a 1-night stay. I would consider dropping the CT (super crowded, making it a less than wonderful visit) and spending those nights in Bologna for day trips - there are lots, including Ferrara, Moden, Ravenna, Parma and Padua.

Posted by
7 posts

Thank you both very much! I know the right thing to do is lighten the schedule but its so hard to choose lol!

Posted by
787 posts

OK, first just checking if moving between hotels 7 times is how you want to spend your time on holiday, for some it's OK. Since you're foodies, I would absolutely not skip Bologna & it's environs, the food is known to be wonderful, would consider a food tour there & maybe trip out into countryside. You only have 2 plus 2 half days in Rome, I would take a much closer look at Rome to figure out what you want to see.

You could decide on Naples after you get to Rome, yep skip Pompeii, too long of a day if what you really want is Napolitana pizza! And if you're dying to see some fabulous ancient ruins, you can take the metro from Pyramid out to Ostia Antica for 1/2 a day instead. How about a walking food tour in Naples? We've had great luck with Eating Europe, the Testaccio tour in Rome was fabulous.

Omit Cinque Terre and spend time elsewhere.... but would love to spend some time on the coast! There are other beaches nearby to CT, places on the coast that are far less crowded. (Use search bar above). I was in CT 20 years ago in September & hated the crowds, I refuse to line up to hike, so on Day 2 we hiked straight up the side of the mountain to traverse the upper trails, don't recall the name, so personally I would drop CT.

Would love to see how you tweak this trip! Hey, another thought is to leave London for another time, it's easy to get to & deserves more than 2 days - AS LONG AS YOU BOOK ON THE SAME ALLIANCE from LHR, you can check your bag through to Rome & out of Milan, save those days for staying longer in Italy.

Posted by
11380 posts

but hope for a few relaxing/meandering days

To have this you need to take the pruning shears to the itinerary.

Your trip, so your choice of 7 different stops, or 'relaxing/meandering'. No wrong answer, just have to decide which is more important to you.