Please sign in to post.

One Week in Sicily

Hello,

I am interested in renting a house in Sicily for one week and would like recommendations as to where we should make home base. Here is what I am looking for:

• Family-friendly: will be traveling with two people over 70 and 3 children under 7.
  • Will be there in the summer.
  • Close to the coast
  • Charming (would love a quaint coastal town)
  • Proximity to interesting sites without too much driving
  • Proximity to great food

Thanks!

Anna

Posted by
27393 posts

Time of year? I think there may be a risk that some small, charming coastal places would be dead in the middle of the winter--though I could be wrong.

Posted by
27393 posts

OK. We have a few people who can make beachy recommendations. I am not one of them.

There's a lot to see and do in Palermo, but it's not a city you want to drive into, so you'd have to figure out where you could dump the car and get public transit into the center. And the atmosphere might be described as "hectic", so maybe that's not the best plan for you. But people have mentioned beaches west of Palermo, and there's a nature reserve over there as well.

Or maybe somewhere over near Trapani (much smaller), which would allow you to visit Erice, too.

Many of us are very fond of Siracusa, which has some small Baroque towns not terribly far away. But I don't know what beaches would be recommended down in southeastern Sicily. The nearest airport would be Catania.

Posted by
4884 posts

When my Sicilian cousin takes her family (2 teenage girls) to the beach, they go to Marina di Ragusa on the SE coast of Sicily. It has a boardwalk and sandy beaches. It is about 25 km from both Ragusa and Modica, 2 of the beautiful Baroque towns. I've not been to Marina di Ragusa myself, but the pictures she sent show lovely, sandy beaches that didn't look very crowded in May, but are likely to be crowded with Sicilians and tourists in August.