Please sign in to post.

one week in Italy

Hello -
My grown daughter and I will have one week to explore Italy after a business trip to Sweden. I have been several times before and seen the major cities but she has never been to Italy. We will be flying into and out of Milan and plan to rent a car for the week. We do not plan to visit Rome (save for another trip) and to concentrate instead on Northern and central Italy. We both enjoy soaking up the atmosphere in smaller places as much as seeing a few larger cities. We need to spend the last night in or close to Milan for a mid-day flight home the next day, so I'm thinking perhaps Lake Maggiore? It will be mid August, so I'm concerned about crowds in the major tourist areas. I've never seen Cinque Terre and am hoping this can be included, for two nights, along with Florence and some of Tuscany. Is it worth driving from Milan to Venice for just one night?

I wish we had more time but not this trip -

Posted by
11214 posts

It really be better to have at least two nights in Venice.
To be near to Milan Malpensa stay in Ranco on Lake Maggiore, SE part of lake, good dining, not over run with tourists. Look at Il Sole for lodging and dinner.

Posted by
906 posts

Driving to Cinque Terre is about 140 miles or so. Then you park the car and take the train to different towns. So that is probably 3 nights, minimum of 2 nights of your trip. You could take in Alba or Asti and see some of the wine country. If you use 2 nights on Lake Maggiore you have pretty much used the trip. I would pick a central location and day trip out of there. Ranco isn't a bad choice, you are withing striking distance of Lake Como, Alba is only 100 miles or so (Asti is closer), you could even take in Turin. Lots to see without going way out of your way. I would leave Tuscany for the next trip and make it 2-3 weeks.

Posted by
2048 posts

Have you considered Torino? It is a beautiful city with much to see, but it’s not too big. Fred Plotkin (author of Italy for the Gourmet Traveler) loves Torino due to it’s historic architecture, opera and good food. We spent 4 days there a few years ago and loved it. It’s on a direct train line from Milan.

Posted by
15855 posts

I've never seen Cinque Terre and am hoping this can be included, for
two nights, along with Florence and some of Tuscany.

Adele, with a last night or two nearer the airport, I think this alone will eat up your week. I'd base in one of the CT villages for a couple of nights and spend the balance based in Florence: you could very easily do some day trips to Siena and Lucca. If you did this, you could also do without the car as you don't need or even want one in Florence or the CT, and public transit from there to some other locations is easily managed.

I assume you're flying in and out of Malpensa? How many nights will you have on the ground in Italy?

Posted by
4894 posts

Two quick thoughts. With just a week, consider staying in one place (or two at a max) and doing day trips. The reason for that suggestion is that a lot of touring time is lost just relocating from place A to place B. Secondly, consider doing the trip just using public transit / trains. A week, in my opinion, is just too short to hassle with a rental car. And the driver is at a distinct disadvantage as she must drive and not sight see.