Please sign in to post.

One week in Italy

There are 4 of us traveling to Italy in October. 2 people have only 1 week, and I'm trying to figure out what is reasonable to do in such a short time. We plan on arriving in Rome early Sunday morning, the 2 who have to leave will probably fly out of Rome on Saturday. The places on my radar are Tuscany, Florence, and the Cinque Terre. Personally, I could spend a week in any one of these places, but am trying to accommodate my friends with limited time. Would love suggestions on how to lay out a trip in terms of time spent in each location.

Posted by
4836 posts

They have a week, but you have how long? And are all of you flying in and out of Rome?
Early, mid, or late October? (chances of rain at CT increase through the month.)

Posted by
4 posts

We are going early October - the 5th. We don't have to fly into Rome, I just assumed it was the biggest city and perhaps the best airfares. The other 2 of us have another week.

Posted by
4836 posts

I think renting a big apartment in Rome with friends would be a fantastic way to spend a week, but if you want to split the week, Rome plus Florence OR Rome plus driving around in southern Tuscany would work well within a week. CT is a bit of a trek, but if you need a "vacation from your vacation," you could head there plus whatever else you missed when they depart.
So much depends on what the group consensus is. What they want more versus what you can do when they depart.

Posted by
23574 posts

If you only have a week, I would spent it all in Rome with one or two day trips to break it up a bit. Or - fly into Florence for two or three nights, the rest in Rome and home from Rome. You just don't have time for much else.

Posted by
4 posts

Awesome ideas, thanks. You both have confirmed my frustrations in trying to do all of this. I love the idea of getting an apartment in Rome and making day trips.....

Posted by
11748 posts

What is the one or two most important places/things on the radar for those that have just the week?

Is this a first time trip?

With just 5 real days for 'touring' for those folks, you could spend it in Rome and not run out of things to do. Would limit them to 2 locations max given their time limitation.

You can then move on to somewhere else for your 2nd week.

Posted by
4 posts

ok, now I'll ask, any places to look for apartments in Rome other than airbnb or vrbo?

Posted by
4836 posts

I have used both airbnb and vrbo, but I'm kinda starting to get wary. I tend to start with Booking.com.
I once booked with https://www.romeloft.com but unfortunately had to cancel the trip, however they were very responsive and when I get back I would use them.

Posted by
1849 posts

I would stay in Rome your first "week". Two of your friends will actually really have only Monday thru Friday. Sunday will be a tough day and the following Saturday will be a wash because of travel. As far as apartments versus hotels, nowadays I prefer hotels. Too many issues are arising with airbnb and vbro for my liking. Others will disagree, but in a hotel switching rooms is easy. A bad apt and you are stuck. Regardless where you stay my advice is to really schedule and plan that first week for the four of you. Time will fly by. Get as many tickets in advance as you can for sights and avoid standing in lines. Learn the Rome metro it will save you lots of time getting around. Plot the sights you want to see on a city map and find a place to stay right in the middle if you can. Check websites for certain sights to see their hours and days of operations. Your second week could be Florence with a night or two in Tuscany on your way back to Rome. There are very nice train routes to some Tuscan cities to enjoy. Sounds like a fun trip. Enjoy.

Posted by
2708 posts

Maybe make a day trip to Orvieto so your friends can experience a hill town and not just a big city. It is an easy train ride from Rome.

Posted by
2391 posts

hey hey Marcy
welcome to the forum. everyone here are great and give you good bad and ugly, different options for you to explore and research. ask all the questions you need to but do what’s important to you. after all said and done you will have a great and no stress vacation. don’t expect to see everything, slow down and enjoy what’s around you and corners/alleyways. You will go again!
cross-pollinate.com look for 2bed/2bath apts. read fine print, cash euros on arrival, early checkin if not do they have baggage hold, early flight arrivals, I’ve seen upset travelers having to wait till 2-3pm which is stated in brochures.
maybe take a train to lucca, stay couple days within walls, apartmentslucca.com or cucina-Italiana.com. chef Paola with half day classes and accommodations. garzoni gardens and butterfly house, a tour to small winery, fattoriaaldotto.com, a ride/tour to barga with come&seeitaly.com
train back to Rome for few more days. everybody happy to see different places. lots to see in Rome, check old frascatiwinetour.com or search “beautiful countryside day trip: castelli romani” to vineyards famous for frascati white wine, pope’s summer palace, ceralli.it family owned bakery/pizza oven and the “best” porchetta, roam the small village. short train ride from the hustle/bustle of Rome. after that your friends return home and you can continue maybe to Florence/Tuscany/Chianti. train to panzano in Chianti, spend night at residenza-antico-Chianti. visit the famous butcher, Dario cecchini’s butcher shop and restaurant, eatingeurope.com for a food tour, tuscan-wine-tours.com, maybe a festival it’s harvest season. Ask owner/hotel for info or tourism kiosk in city center. have fun and fabulous time.
aloha