Please sign in to post.

One day in Rome

We will have just one day in Rome. We are arriving by train in the morning (from Florence). We’ll have the day and evening to see the sights (seeing the Coloseum is our priority).
Can someone recommend a reasonably priced place to stay that is convenient for our quick stay and tour? How would you plan your time?
Thank you.

Posted by
11698 posts

Rick Steves has a suggested itinerary for one day in Rome right here o this site https://www.ricksteves.com/europe/italy/rome-itinerary

As to where to stay, as the historic center is most atmospheric and convenient. Near Piazza Navona or Campo de' Fiori is a sweet spot, IMO. "Reasonably priced" is elusive. Your reasonable might be my extravagant. I suggest perusing Booking.com for what might be available for your date.

Posted by
7084 posts

Welcome to the forum!

Where will you be going after Rome?
If to FCO I would probably grab a hotel near Termini
That will save you time in arrival day-drop your bags and get going

Hotel Sonya
Hotel Aberdeen
Are very nice and easy walking distance from station
(I don’t know your budget or what “reasonably priced” means)

We prefer the area around Pantheon -right in Centro Historico but might be over your budget

When is this day?
If soon you will need to get something booked soon
Booking .com is great for narrowing down your choices-set filters for budget, location, AC, etc

Are you still able to get Colosseum tix or do you want to book a tour?

Anyway I would tour Colosseum, Forum, Palantine first
Then use your late afternoon:evening to do the RS Heart of Rome walk-that will take you thru all the beautiful piazzas, Pantheon, past Trevi, Spanish steps etc
You can walk every-even from train station

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you to all of you for your quick replies. I found and booked a nice hotel located near the train station and near the Colosseum, I appreciate your input about making the most of a one day visit to Rome!