Please sign in to post.

One day in Florence

My husband and I will be in Florence for 1 day. We are not huge art buff's. Should we feel guilty for not wanting to go to all the museums? Any suggestions for must see's?

Posted by
248 posts

I think it more important to broaden your horizons than to fulfill some imaginary obligation. There's art all over Florence without stepping foot in a museum. I'm not an art connoisseur by any stretch (what's wrong with poker-playing dogs?), but I enjoyed learning about Florence by considering the art...as well as the sculpture, the geography, the people, the food, the food, the food! I'd suggest perhaps a more intimate art viewing - one smaller gallery or even church with significant art - rather than the vast array of art at the Uffizi. Just a thought...BUT permission granted to skip art all together and enjoy your trip!

Posted by
76 posts

Heck no! Do what you like. Eat gelato. Check out street markets. Drink wine. Wander. And you may discover you want to come back!

Posted by
32746 posts

Why feel guilty? To whom? For why? My wife and I had a day in Florence a couple of weeks ago and we only went to one museum (it was a doozie) and one church (it also was a doozie) and a couple of cups of caffé (they were top notch) and hung out. I don't feel guilty. My wife doesn't feel guilty. We are very much into art. Full disclosure - we have been to Florence previously a few times and this was a quick day trip from Bologna.

Posted by
1883 posts

My hubby hates museums. We don't go. There is plenty to see in Florence. Go to the Duomo, climb to the top, or do the tower - fewer stairs. Get a great view of all of Florence and the country side. Walk to Ponte Vecchio and window shop. Get lost in some side streets on the other side of the Arno... Visit the market, outside and inside, enjoying the variety of vendors and items for sale, and the excitement of a crowd of people. Perhaps shop for some special truffle oil or salts to bring home to enjoy. Enjoy some gelato and people watch. There is a wonderful Synagogue to see as well, most people just visit the churches. Lots of history of the Jewish people that is often ignored. No reason to feel guilty about not going to the museums, they aren't everyone's cup of tea.

Posted by
134 posts

Even if you loved museums, you can not see all the museums in one day. There is so much to see in Florence that you can fill a full and fun day with no museums.

Posted by
11294 posts

Just to agree with all the others. The only "must sees," for any destination, are the things you, personally, must see - no more and no less. So, if that doesn't include museums, you can go to the Ponte Vecchio, the Boboli Gardens, the Mercato Centrale, climb the Duomo's dome or the Giotto Tower, go up to Fiesole for the lovely view, or just make a study of as many gelaterie as you can find (hey, someone's got the do the rigorous research, and it might as well be you). And not all museums are about "art." There's also the Science Museum, for instance. One thing to be aware of that somewhat contradicts the above. You'll read that there is a copy of Michelangelo's David in the Piazza della Signoria, and this is viewable 24/7 for free. What is not always emphasized is that this copy looks NOTHING like the real thing. If you really want to see the David, you have to go to the Accademia. But again, there's plenty of other ways to fill a day.