Please sign in to post.

Olympics 2026

My daughter just got back from a week in Paris. She had a fabulous time and we are starting to think about the Winter Games in 2026. We are most interested in the outdoor events to the north of Milan. At this time we aren't set on specific events and don't know which venues we will want to visit.

So, general thoughts on going the Winter Games? Driving in Northern Italy or Souther Austria in February? Great small towns and villages in that region?

Posted by
11723 posts

Pure speculation, but I doubt a rental car will be a good option for getting to mountain venues.

The congestion & parking logistics would be a nightmare, so would expect the 'regular folk' will be bussed to the venues. (The athletes, coaches, the filthy rich and politicians will of course have special treatment)

The local authorities probably shudder in horror at the thought of 1,000s of visitors who have no experience driving mountain roads in the winter wandering around in rental cars, so are unlikely to let that happen just because there is no way to get enough tow trucks in place to handle the mess

Posted by
6849 posts

It's hard to say anything if you don't know what events you are interested in. But in general I think that trying to drive to the areas will be a very bad idea. There will probably be information about communications later. Rasen-Antholz has a railway station nearby, but apart from that the best option will probably be buses around the areas.

Several of the host towns/villages are popular winter destinations so there are plenty of hotels in the area. But the Olympics is a large event and time will tell how many hotel rooms will be available for the general public.

Posted by
19511 posts

I did a quick google and it appears that hotels are taking reservations now. So best move on with it.

Posted by
11 posts

Too bad they do not have a schedule yet. I have a friend who is working to qualify. If he does, I am going!

Posted by
562 posts

Wher is "to the north of Milan" -- ?

Like, exactly where?

There are great small towns and villages everywhere to the north of
Milan (and in every region of Italy).

In what month are the games?

We are most interested in events in Anterselva/Antholz, Bormio and Cortina d'Ampezzo. Possibly Milano, but less concerned about room and travel logistics in Milano itself.

Games are 6-22 February 2026.

Posted by
589 posts

My initial take is that the venues for the Alpine events are spread out
across the Italian Alps, so it will not be easy to see, for example, biathlon
and downhill skiing if you want to stay in one place.

Getting around a major city during an event like the Olympics requires
patience but is doable. Getting around in the mountain regions where there
may be one 2-lane road could be more difficult. I am sure there will be
bus and shuttle transport options that become known, but not easy to
plan in detail quite yet.

Am interested in others thoughts.....

Posted by
562 posts

Thanks for your responses. Looks like its too early to make any firm plans and I'll need to wait until the official hospitality and ticket sales begin.

Posted by
1 posts

I plan to attend the games. Let’s see if I manage to get the tickets. Having been in cortina and other areas of dolomites have listed some of the events/venue I would like to see.
Spoke to some of the hotels in cortina, dobbiaco, val di femme. Most of them are booked by the games committee. Some are yet to decide the rate. Best bet will be Airbnb which has decent availability. Winter driving in dolomites will be my last option if I cannot get the right shuttle connection. Fingers crossed for February 2025