Please sign in to post.

Olbia Sardinia Italy

Can't find much tourist information on this town. Anything that would make this an interesting cruise port? Docking time 9 to 7. I don't see this town listed in Rick's med book.

Posted by
15163 posts

I've been to Sardinia enugh times to say this about Olbia. Olbia is good for 3 things: 1. Land (or dock)
2. Get in the car 3. Get the hell out of there. I don't think Rick Steves omitted it from his book because he forgot. It was deliberate. Sorry I can't help you more, but 1, 2 and 3 is all I do when I go to Olbia. The good thing though is that Paradise is not too far from Olbia.

Posted by
330 posts

Thanks Roberto that gives me alot to think about. We had planned a land trip by bus and train but now my friend has developed a knee problem. The cruise is a great price cheaper infact but I'm not crazy about two of the ports Olbia and Marselle....is there a bus close by, like could we send the day at a beach town?

Posted by
15163 posts

Sardinia is famous for its beaches. There are thousands and most of them are beautiful. I think the best part of Sardinia is the Gallura (which is the northern most tip, basically between Olbia and Santa Teresa. You should rent a car, if you can, and drive to one that is close enough for your return. Unfortunately you don't have much time. If you had a couple of days, I would definitely tell you to take a boat trip to the Maddalena archipelago, but it's a whole day thing, and getting to Santa Teresa or even Palau takes a while. It's a 2 lane highway and lots of curves (with occasional herd of sheep crossing). From Olbia to Santa Teresa on a good day would take me 55 min. With my wife back seat driving and yelling at me for my Italian style driving, over one hour. There are lots of secluded beaches all along. Having a car is really a must though, because most are not on the main highway where the buses drive. Can you check about renting a car at the port for a day?