Please sign in to post.

Official Vatican tour

Hello Does anyone know the diffrance between the two 3 hr. tours the Vatican offers? A) Vatican Museums and Saint Peter's Basilica (duration of the tour is 3 hours) The tour follows an itinerary which includes: the Pio Clementino Museum, the Gallery of the Candelabras, the Gallery of the Geographical Maps, and the Gallery of the Tapestries (Renaissance art), the Raphael Rooms, the Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's Basilica. Duration of the tour is about 3 hours B) Vatican Museums and Saint Peter's Basilica - Art & Faith (duration of the tour is 3 hours) The tour follows an itinerary which includes: the Pio-Christian Museum, the Gallery of the Candelabras, the Gallery of the Tapestries (Renaissance art) and the Gallery of the Geographical Maps, the Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's Basilica*.
Duration of the tour is about 3 hours. The tours description sound the same to me?

Posted by
4152 posts

Other than the Rafael rooms I believe the difference is that the Art and Faith tours concentrates more on the religious aspect of the artwork where as the regular tour doesn't. Donna

Posted by
1994 posts

I did the art and faith tour and found it to be very powerful. Too often, art historians approach religious art by eliminating faith and God as motivating forces and then spin off their alternative theories (eg, Dan Brown and other fiction, but also actual art historians). This tour was a very good counter-balance and I think you'd enjoy it, if God is an element of your life. Re itinerary, I've been to the museum many times so I'm not sure what may have been left out.

Posted by
11613 posts

I haven't taken these tours but I think Donna and Sherry are right - the difference may be in the tour guide's approach.

Posted by
23 posts

Thanks for the input everyone, the religious aspect is very important to both myself and especially my mom who will be with me! so I will most definitely go with that option.