Please sign in to post.

October Itinerary Review

Hi everyone! I have posted a few times regarding my itinerary and gotten some very helpful insights from all of you more seasoned travelers. I now have a more firm schedule and would love to get your input on some of the finer details.
Sorrento/Amalfi are not what everyone would do but my daughter is set on seeing this area with me while she studies abroad in Florence. I will be in Florence at the end of the trip while she is back in school--explore by day, with her at night.

Oct 21st to November 3rd.

• 21st- 2pm Land in Naples from Boston via Zurich Shuttle to Napoli Centrale meet daughter coming from Florence-3pm arrival. Sorrento-- by train, bus or private car? Grand Hotel Capodiamonte-quiet night-recover from jetlag
  • 22nd- Sorrento---8:30am MondoRS Share tour Capri-full day
  • 23rd- Sorrento---8:30 am MondoRS Shared tour Amalfi-full day Notfull yet--option 2 use buses.
  • 24th- 10am train from Napoli Centrale arrive in Rome 11:15am. Store luggage at station-use RS Heart of Rome audio tour. If too tired will just visit Trevi Fountain & lunch. 3pm train to Orvietto. Pick up car at Hertz by 6:30pm. Orvietto-Check into Airbnb.
  • 25th- Orvietto, possibly Civita Bognoregio,
  • 26th- 10am check out. Explore Orvietto. San' Quirico-- Check into agritisimo Il Rigo,
  • 27th- San' Quirico--Explore Val D'Orcia towns and/or relax at Il Rigo
  • 28th- San' Quirico--Explore Val D'Orcia towns and/or relax at Il Rigo.
    Reservations-bathing under the stars at Post Marcucci Bagno Vignoni.
  • 29th- Check out of Il Rigo. Drive to Sienna-explore. Other optionskip Sienna-visit San Gimignano and/or Volterra. 4pm Drop off car at Florence airport. Train to SMN, walk 15 mins to Airbnb via Amerigo Vespucci bridge (Beautiful roof top apt w/views of city!)
  • 30th- Florence-- If not too exhausted, Viatour 9am train to Venice for the day.
  • 31st- Florence--Explore Florence. Night concert- San StefanoChurch, Piazza San Stefano
  • Nov: 1st- Florence-- Explore
  • 2nd- Florence-- Explore
  • 3rd-- Check out. Depart 2:40pm Boston, via Zurich

Questions...

How long to get through customes at Naples airport? I am guessing I won't be to the train station until after my daughter arrives at 3pm.Train or bus better to Sorrento? Hire a car to make life easier, because of different locations--driver get one then the other rather than us taking public transit to the other's location?

Recommendations of towns to stop at on way from Orvietto to Il Rigo? Is Saturnia terme/surounding towns worth the trip (weather dependent) from Orvietto, it looks so wonderful! Saturnia on the 25th and Orvietto before heading to Il Rigo?

Recommendations for best towns/restaurants while in Tuscany? A particular vineyard to tour? Let Il Rigo connect us with one they may have a relationship with?

Viatour has an 'on your own' tour (couple w/RS audio tour). Price includes Train, vaporetto and St Mark's tickets. The only day my daughter can go is Monday 30th. Depart SMN 9am-return on last train from Venice. I know one day in Venice is not 'seeing' Venice but still I thought why not? I hear lots of sights are closed in Florence on Mondays. We don't have to commit--it can be reserved the day before. What would you do?

Recommendations on museums in Florence? Would like to also go to Piazza Michelangelo for the view. Any other less touristy/ unique things you enjoyed in Florence?

Your thoughts? Enough flexibility/room for rest minus the 1st few days? A long post...sorry!

Posted by
2712 posts

The only place I have been on your itinerary is Venice. I would definitely do the day trip. You won't get to see it in depth, but you will get to see it and enjoy it. It is a joy to wonder around.

Posted by
1944 posts

Upon arrival at Naples Capodichino airport, once you take a taxi and hook up with your daughter--I'm guessing 90 minutes to deplane, get bags, walk outside and take taxi to train station--with bags and being jetlagged besides I'd bite the bullet and sign up for the hotel picking you up at Naples Centrale for private transport. Probably will cost you 100 Euro, but the alternative would be the Circumvesuviana train--yes, cheap--but then your hotel is at least a mile from the Sorrento station. I suppose you could have the hotel pick you up at Sorrento station and save some money, but you're going to be totally wiped out then. Your choice.

Why are you picking up a car immediately in Orvieto upon arrival there rather than waiting for the next day, or even later on, before you leave for Siena & Florence? This past March, we visited Orvieto from Rome on a day trip and did totally fine without a car. Again, your choice and one word of warning--read on these forums about ZTL's (camera-controlled tickets for unknowingly driving in the wrong districts--urban and rural) before firing in on renting a car.

Posted by
75 posts

Carroll, Thanks for your thoughts! That was my rationale, so I am glad to hear from someone who has been there. Being that it is my first time travelling anywher outside the US I really don't know who far-fetched an idea might be! Thanks for confiming it is worth the day trip--I won't book until I know it won't rain on the day we plan to visit though!

Jay, I did get a quote from Lousia at Sorrento Silver Star for $130 euro to transport my daughter & myself to the hotel. I appreciate your thoughts and think I will go ahead and book it. Regarding the car rental. I had booked it based on our arrival to Orvietto from Rome (10/25) thinking it would be good to already have it first thing in the morning as our Airbnb provided some car parking options which the host will lead you to from outside the city. That way we can head out to explore Civita Bagnoregio 1st thing the next morning, then head back to Orvietto for exploring during the afternoon, spend our 2nd night in the airbnb in Orvietto, explore Orvietto again in the morning before heading to Il Rigo OR take the 1.5 hr-ish drive to Saturnia to their famous therme--before heading to Il Rigo. We will only have the car in tuscany to take day trips to visit area towns while at Il Rigo. From reading the forum I am under the impression it is easy to avoid ZTL's by utilitzing parking areas outside of the walls of any cities/towns we visit. We are returning the car to the airport in Florence to avoid ZTL's there. We will not have a car from that point on.
However, I have wondered if we should wait and pick up the car on the day we check out of the airbnb (10/26) and skip Saturnia and just visit Civita Bagnoregio prior to heading north to San D'Orcia. I need to check with Hertz on the price difference. I wondered too about if it is worth taking the time to get back down to Hertz from the airbnb. Do you know how involved it is to get back down to the lower area where Hertz is located? The airbnb is a few blocks from the piazza Duomo.

Posted by
4105 posts

On arrival in Naples, take either a taxi, 22E or the Alibus, 4E to Napoli Centrale. Both will take 15 minutes. From Naples-Sorrento, take the shuttle.

http://www.sorrentoshuttle.com/shuttlebus-booking-page/

It will drop you at your lodging.
An will cost half the price of a private transfer.

On the 24th take a taxi to the Spanish Steps. Do Ricks' walk backwards ending in Campo di Fiore. Taxi back to Termini. Keep in mind to leave enough time to retrieve your luggage, there could be a lengthy line.

I question Civita Borgnoregio with the short amount of time you have. While its beautiful,
It's IMO not worth the effort.
You might be better served to visit Montepulciano on your way to San Quirico.
Visit Siena, from San Quirico, it's under an hours drive. Spend the night.
ZTLs are in abudence here.
Park at the Stadio lot.
Drive to Volterra first on your last day, hitting San Gimignano as late in the afternoon as your rental return allows.
You should take a taxi to your apartment from the airport. The other choice is a bus.
For Venice, take the earliest and latest trains possible.
The city is so different in the evening.
Florence you have covered, you and your daughter will have a fantastic trip.

Posted by
15582 posts

You really only have about 3 hours in Rome, what with putting your luggage in storage, then collecting it and finding your train, plus unpredictable traffic in the city. You'd want to get to Naples with plenty of time - allow 15 minutes from the Circumvesuviana to the train. The ride can be up to 1.25 hours and the trains are often late. I'd want to leave Sorrento around 8 am to make sure I don't miss the train. That's an early departure just 3 days after you arrive and after 2 pretty busy days. Instead, I'd put my luggage in storage at the Naples station, then either take the RS city walk or visit the excellent archaeology museum. Have lunch in Naples and then take a mid-afternoon train to Orvieto. That way you don't have to worry about leaving Sorrento early or rushing around Rome to get back to the train station.

Posted by
75 posts

Chani-thanks for your thoughts, unfortunately we have purchased the tickets for the 10am train so we are committed now :( I tend to agree that I will be tired after those busy days in Sorrento---guess I will have to catch a nap on the train to Rome.

We are going to book a private transfer with the service Gerri recommended in her post. I have asked the company what time they would recommned for the transfer to get us to the train station (as well as pick up given our unique airport/trainstation situation) and made them aware we are not familiar with Napoli Centrale so that needs to be factored in. I may move the car rental pick up to the morning of 10/26 rather than 6pm on the 24th which will give us more flexiblity on arrival time to Orvieto--especially given Gerri's point of Civita Bagnoregio. There are many trains so if we miss one we can take a later one. I will arrainge for a later in the evening check in time at the airbnb. We can always roam around Orvieto if we arrive earlier than check in. I am back packing and my daughter travels light so we won't be lugging big suitcases.

Gerri, thanks for the info on Sorrento Shuttle $95 vs $155 for private transfer... big savings!! I am waiting to hear back on what time to book for the pickup upon arrival and then back from the hotel. Another thanks for the tip to taxi from car drop-off to airbnb, that is a great idea. I had planned on Montepulciano while at Il Rigo.. maybe do that on the way to a day trip to Siena. Will definatley park where you recommend! We couldn't stay over night however, we have confirmed with Il Rigo and our Airbnb in Florence. In looking at mapquest, I had thought we would take the SR2 route to San Quirico vs the E35 (autostrade?). I thought SR2 might be a slower pace and more scenic....easier for me as a new driver in Italy.

Everyone has been so helpful, thanks for all of your advice...keep it coming...I have so much to learn!!

Posted by
824 posts

Expanding on the Rome portion of the itinerary, The Left Luggage office inside the train station can be quite busy around the times when Florence trains are arriving/departing. Allow plenty of time to pick up your bags - I've seen unhappy tourists miss their train while waiting in lengthy queues to retrieve their bags.

There are a couple Left Luggage offices that have popped up outside the train station but I don't have any personal experience with them...

Posted by
75 posts

Thanks for the reminder about the bus Kathy! My flight lands at 1:55pm and I have no checked luggage. I hope it doesn't take more than 1-1/2 hrs to get through customs, based on that time frame the curreri schedule doesn't seem to fit. Am I being unrealistic with my time frame?

Work2travel, I actually have a reservation for a locker at the Hotel Agora through a service called bagbnb. I had kind of written it off because I read on tripadvisor that it might be a hoax. In looking at the hotel website they advertise the offer this service to non-customers for the amount that I paid. I might email them to verify my booking through bagbnb. I will post if I am able to verify my reservation. I booked 2 lockers from 11:45-3pm.

Posted by
11176 posts

Given any thought to making your day trip to Venice an overnighter?

A day trip to Venice seems like getting just one lick of an ice cream cone and having it taken away.

Posted by
75 posts

Hi Joe, I know a day trip is just a tease really but Monday 10/30 is the only day my daughter does not have school so we need to be back Monday night and the Florence aibnb is reserved Sunday to Friday 11/3.

In order to stay in Venice Sunday night and come back to Florence Monday we would have to change our airbnb check-in. Sunday we would then have to drive from Il Rigo to Florence airport, drop the car off, get to her Florence apartmen, unload some of our belongings so we have only an overnight bag to take to Venice and then get over to SMN station for the 2hr ride to Venice. Factor in that weekend is the end of daylight savings...I think it would be too much. Getting settled into the airbnb Sunday, an early bedtime, then catch the first train to Venice and the last train back on Monday will give us at least a taste. If the weather turns out to be rainy, we can opt out without worrying about a reserved room. It will give me good reason to plan another trip to see what I missed!

Posted by
138 posts

Loved the Amalfi coast - stayed in Ravello and Positano.
In Tuscany, had a wine tour and lunch and loved it - http://www.verrazzano.com/en/
We will be returning to Tuscany this fall and will be going back there.
Enjoy!

Posted by
4105 posts

Second Verrazzano, even if you don't do the wine tasting, alcohol limit in Italy is much lower than here, the food is fantastic.

Use Via Michlin instead of mapquest. It's much more accurate.

You had mentioned combining Siena and Montepulciano.
Do Siena first, your lodging is much closer to Montepulciano.

On your drive from Orvieto, stop at Bolsena for lunch.

Posted by
75 posts

Thanks Marna & Gerri! Verrazzano looks fantastic, definitely putting that on the list! I had looked at Bolsena too and thought it was a pretty town! The lake looks pretty! Still really hoping to make it to Saturnia Terme, I know it is pretty far, even from Bolsena but it sure looks wonderful!

Gerri, if I recall you are familiar with the Naples area, how long do you think it would take me to clear the airport on my arrival (via Zurich)? I have no checked baggage. I am hesitant to book a shared car given they make it clear that the actual pick up time could be as much as an hour before or after the time you request based on where the other passengers are going. For that reason I will opt for the private transfer but need to decide on having my daughter come to me from the train station or I go to her from the airport. I have emailed Sorrento Shuttle asking if they could pick one up at the airport then the other at the train station but have not gotten a response. My plane lands at 2pm her train arrives at 3pm.

Posted by
11176 posts

gosulliv4--

Given your logistical issues, your plan makes sense for a day trip to Venice

Obviously a case of 'something is better than nothing'

Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
4105 posts

It will not take you more than 30-45 minutes. Deplane, walk thru nothing to declare, walk outside and to the Alibus pick-up area, there may be a 30 minute wait for the bus. So a little over an hour and a 15 min bus ride to Centrale.

Posted by
4105 posts

I don't see why, if you're doing a private transfer, they won't pick you up at both locations.
If you have them pick up your daughter first, they have to drive by the airport to reach the autostrada.

Just in case that doesn't work, here is the Alibus timetable.
Napoli Centrale is the second #.

http://www.anm.it/images/stories/PDF/alibus/alibus_aeroporto_porto_mag_17.pdf

As you exit the bus in piazza Garibaldi, walk out of the bus area to the Main Street. Cross here at the light. Head straight up the Piazza (about 2 blocks)
Past the metro station to the light. Cross the street to the station. DON'T follow anyone going thru the bus depot.

Posted by
75 posts

Thanks for all this great info Gerri! I have not gotten an email back from them but based on your estimate I will book the private transfer from the train station giving me enough time to taxi or alibus over from the airport. Eventually I will have contact with them and can ask about picking me up at the airport.

Posted by
75 posts

I sure did! I booked the transfer today. I explained my need for two pick up locations. Their reply was to pick me up 1st 30mins after my flight landed and then my daughter because the airport is not near the train staion it would cost additional $15. I told them I preferred to have my daughter picked up at 3pm then myself. I lad at 2pm and would rather be the person waiting for pick up than not have the driver there for her when she arrives as she is travelling alone and is only 20. At least if my flight is delayed they can take her to the hotel without me. I can manage I dont need her stranded at the Naples train station alone... I have not heard back yet. I dont see why it would matter to them who they pick up first if Im willing to pay and extra €15.

Posted by
75 posts

I forgot to memtion they response was to my booking not the email I sent earlier in the week. I am sure this will all get ironed out and we will get picked up and transferred to our hotel. Kind of lousy having to pay extra.

Posted by
4105 posts

The airport is under 4 miles from the station. They just did not want to pay the toll into and out of the airport twice.
If they fight you tell them you'll pay the tolls.

Posted by
135 posts

I wouldn't get the rental car in Orvieto until I was ready to leave on the 26th. You could go to Civita Bognoregio as you leave Orvieto. I can't imagine why you would need the car in Orvieto and parking is going to be challenging.

Posted by
75 posts

Gerri, I got an email back, agreeing to my proposed getting my daughter then me. I offered to arrive at the train station if time allowed and only pay if they need to pick me up. They don't understand and want me to make the commitment to meet them at the train station or at the airport now. I will just tell them pick me up after her. There was no mention of the added fee..my card has been charged for the regular cost (converted to USD). I guess this is all part of travelling abroad... oh well...either way we have a confirmed reservation for private transfer, that is all that matters at this point!

Posted by
4105 posts

So happy you finally got it straightens out.

If you have time to reach the station, here is the map of the airport. Shows where the Alibus stop and the taxi rank are parked.

http://www.aeroportodinapoli.it/en/on-arrival/connections-to-from-naples-airport-map

I'll add the fixed rate taxi fares
When I figure out which folder I hid them in.

Edit:
Print this out an take it with you. To use the fixed rate, which is 18E from the airport to Napoli Centrale, tell the driver
Predeterminate Tarriff. He then needs to print a receipt before he drives.

http://www.comune.napoli.it/flex/cm/pages/ServeAttachment.php/L/IT/D/1%252F1%252F3%252FD.c15f164bdb740e3ff43d/P/BLOB%3AID%3D1193/E/pdf

On the left, bold is Italian, under in English.

Posted by
4105 posts

You and your daughter have a wonderful trip. Let us know how you did on your return.
I leave, from my months journey, the day you arrive.

Posted by
75 posts

Ohhh a whole month, how wonderful!!

I am getting more excited by the day.. she leaves for her study abroad Monday the 28th! Can't believe my baby is heading out to experience the beautiful country her ancestors came from for 4 whole months.. it gives me a chill!

Say a pray that she makes her connecting flight at CDG, Paris.. only 1hr 20min layover!

It won't be long before I will visit! We are going to have the best time ever!