Please sign in to post.

october,2015 in italy

looking for sugestions on itinerary for the month of october 2015. would like to start my journey in palermo as that is where my family is from.Flights into palermo seem not to be the best route . price wise any suggestions on an itineray that would give me a start in southern italy and take me to milan as an exit to sfo. I was hoping to explore a great deal of the country in a month just my wife and i mid 50's.Rome ,Florence,Venice,Vernazza, and shopping for the kids in Milan as our exit to san francisco any help would be appreciated,this my first of hopefully many trips

Posted by
7175 posts

Fly into Rome and connect to Palermo (5nts)
Fly to Naples for Sorrento & Amalfi Coast (5nts)
Train to Rome (5nts)
Train to Florence (5nts)
Train to Venice (5nts)
Train to Verona (2nts)
Train to Milan (3nts)
Look at getting apartments for your 5 night stays.
Starting in the south is good as it will still be warm(ish) in October.

Posted by
11613 posts

If you are more interested in Southern Italy, you could fly into Roma, connect to Palermo, spend a few days there, with day trips to Cefalu or Segesta. Other places in Sicilia that may be of interest to you are Erice, Agrigento, Siracusa, Taormina.

You could then fly into Napoli and after a few days, spend some time on the Amalfi Coast, visit Paestum, then go to Roma.

After Roma, train to Firenze for a few days, if you have time train to Venezia for s few days and then train to Milano (spend at least the night before your departure there).

Lonely Planet or Michelin guides are good resources for Sicily and Southern Italy.

How much time you spend in each location depends on your interests. This won't be your last trip,