Please sign in to post.

Oct 2022 to Rome, Florence, Sorrento/Capri: suggestions/tips apres Covid

Hi all, hope you all are well; you've been sooo helpful to me in the past, though I had to cancel my 2020 Oct trip....now hoping/planning to go in Oct 2022 before travel insurance expires...planning to make hotel reservations where we had them before, but...big question: flights! I really want to go business class ( I know, way expensive, but when my husband & I went in 2019 we got BC for $1800 each which was a steal...don't know how that happened, but I am looking into it!). Having had BC once, there is no turning back!!!

So...thoughts/recommendations? How is the new ITA airline? Is it reliable? I've gone to a few sites, not much under $3200 which is (gulp) barely acceptable, but...plan is to go in/out of Rome (though I am open) after doing Florence, Tuscany/agriturismo outside Volterra recommended by a friend who knows the owners, for 2-3 nights, cannot rent a car, Siena (via train?), then really want to get to Sorrento/Amalfi, stay in Sorrento, and do day tours to Capri, Amalfi, etc. thought about doing RS tour of Florence/Rome/Tuscany, and then adding 2-3 days at the end for Capri, etc., then train back to Rome for departure. Honestly, NOT unlimited funds! would love to do Venice but I don't think there's enough time with 21 days.

My travel companion is my sister, 72 yrs old with weak knees, no cane yet but we cannot walk for miles and miles....she has never been, will never go unless I take her, and I've been a few times...it's her dream trip...(Actually she is my "womb mate" since we are identical twins!)

Thanks all! stay safe

Posted by
3122 posts

When you say "thought about doing RS tour of Florence/Rome/Tuscany, and then adding 2-3 days at the end for Capri, etc.," do you mean enrolling in the actual tour, or just following the route that the RS tour uses? If the former, be aware of the RS physical fitness expectations (since you mentioned your sister's limitations). If the latter, realize that an organized tour can move faster than individual travelers because the guide knows exactly where to go and how to maximize your time.

Posted by
11155 posts

thought about doing RS tour of Florence/Rome/Tuscany,

Do you mean the Heart of Italy 9 day Tour?

If you have 21 days you certainly can make your plan work

Since ITA began service only a month ago, its 'track record' is obviously quite short. Whether there is a statistically valid sample for a meaningful opinion on their service is doubtful.

Given their limited reach I am left to guess you live in/near Boston, NYC, Miami or LA. ?

Posted by
48 posts

Yes, Miami area. Thought we could do a RS tour of either V/F/R or the 9 day one...I'd have to relook at those to decide; any thoughts one way or the other on these tours? i can't recall if either include Capri/Amalfi...thanks again.

Posted by
48 posts

Question for those who have taken RS tours: it seems most of the planned activities are in the morning, and you are free to roam on your own in the afternoons....sooo, if we get too tired in the morning tour, can we just "drop out" and meet up later/at hotel/next day without any problems??? thanks.

Posted by
258 posts

CissyBoca: We were in Italy for one month (mid-Oct to mid-Nov 2019). Used trains extensively except buses to Siena and on Amalfi coast. Worked well. Some towns have convenient shuttle buses. Used cabs a couple of times. Rome Metro fine except rush hour. Tried a Rome day bus once - never again. Night bus to Termina was fine. Sorrento Old Town has relatively easy walking. Positano not but has shuttle bus. Amalfi is okay if staying in area near Church. Bus okay to Ravello but walking away from piazza iffy. Florence has buses to many spots but schedule erratic and sometimes confusing. Check Google Flights.

Posted by
11155 posts

The only RS tour that includes the Amalfi coast is the Best of South Italy 13 day tour (https://www.ricksteves.com/tours/italy/south-italy)

If you chose to drop out of an activity early or skip it in its entirety, that is not a problem. Just be sure to let the guide know what you are doing, so there is no concern of your being 'lost/missing'

Posted by
4299 posts

Relative to your sister's issues: Although I sometimes walk 5 miles/day when in Europe and do not use an assistive device except when walking on rocky, root-strewn trails, I would not consider doing a RS tour because my knees sometimes give me trouble and some of his tour hotels do not have elevators. I'm saving my knees to walk up and down steps at tourist attractions, not hotels.