Please sign in to post.

Oct 2018 Trip itinerary, needs suggestion. Thanks

Departing in early Oct 2018 from YVR- Amsterdam, Netherlands, stays 3-4 N.
Train from Amsterdam- Burges, (appx: 3 hr by Thalys, correct ?), Stay 2 N
Train from Burges- Brussels 3 N ( whats are the highlights in Brussels considers staying 2 vs 3 N ?)
Plane from Brussels to Venice (3-4 N)
Venice- Florence (3-4 N)
Venice- Milan (3-4 N)
Fly back to YVR.
Per Brussels airline, Brussels- Venice has the cheapest fair ( one way). I wonder there are 2 options. Perhaps A or B both is ok depends on the price ?
A) Plane: Brussels-Venice, Venice- Florence- Milan (train), then fly YVR
B) Plane: Brussels- Florence, Florence-Venice-Milan(Train), then fly YVR
Also, when visiting Amsterdam, Netherland- Brussels, Burges, to Florence, Venice, Milan, how convenient to take public transit from place to place ? When can I purchase online train pass ? Which website/ tips you could share about booking online.
Many thanks.
Thanks

Posted by
1231 posts

You might want to post this in the General Europe forum since you are covering multiple countries.

Posted by
7731 posts

You should consult a guide book to pinpoint what you want to see Brussels.
You don't have to use Thalys to get to Bruges. Use the Dutch or Belgian rail IC trains they are less expensive https://www.ns.nl/en or
https://www.b-europe.com/EN
Thalys service will show in the search results but you will see that it is quicker but the prices are higher.
The itinerary A starting in Venice looks more logical order?
You do not need a rail pass just buy point to point tickets. Do not look at this option anymore while planning.
Use the official Italian rail site for tickets
http://www.trenitalia.com/
When you buy tickets online they will come to you as PDF files. You have the option of printing them out before you go or using a mobile device to show conductor s who scan QR code.

Posted by
15560 posts

So you are flying open-jaw into Amsterdam and out of Milan. That's wise. And I like that you are planning on stays of 2-4 nights, a pace much to my liking. Trains are the way to travel. It's rare that a rail pass will save you money over buying point to point tickets. And if you buy months in advance, you can get huge discounts. Now to each country . . .

Netherlands At least 4 nights, since you'll be getting over jetlag when you land, so it's always good to add an extra day to your first stop. I would consider staying another night and taking at least one day trip - there are lots of lovely towns: Utrecht, Haarlem, Delft, The Hague, Rotterdam.

Belgium I prefer to stay in Ghent and day trip to Bruges and Brussels instead of changing hotels. Ghent is more lively in the evening than Bruges and less touristy (it's also cheaper to sleep there). I don't know that there's all that much to enjoy in Brussels, and it's not difficult to take the train from Ghent to the airport.

Italy Unless there's something specific that you want to do in Milan, one full day is really enough. Use the rest of your time. I'd plan on 3 full days in Venice. That could be 3N, taking an evening train to Florence. Then the rest of your time in Florence, with day trips, or maybe 2N in Bologna or Verona (either before or after Florence), then train to Milan for your last night.

The best site for train schedules is bahn.com (the German train site). It won't show prices though. For pricing and purchase I use the official sites for each train service. In Italy, there are two: trenitalia.com has local and fast train service throughout the country, Italotreno.it/en runs a competing service of fast trains on the same tracks and stations. You may get a better price or a more convenient time with one than the other.

Posted by
107 posts

Hi Chani,

I have time to read more in detail of your note. Here is revision of my trip.

AMS 4N - Ghent, staying at Utrecht
Ghent 4N-Venice, a day trip to Bruges, a day in Brussels, remaining in Ghent
Venice 3 N-Florence
Florence 3N -Milan ( a day trip to Cinque Terre vs staying in Cinque 1 N ?)
Milan 3N ( a day to Lake Como), remaining shopping.

Side note: Venice (3N) - Florence, then Florence 3 N includes visit Cinque Terre, is one day trip doable or might be tight on schedule. Per ItaliaRail ( use this website for Italy train schedule, correct), trains takes 2.5-3 hr ( one way)

Looking to hear your thoughts.
Thanks.

Posted by
3586 posts

If art and architecture interest you, Brussels needs more than a day. The two museums that stand out in my mind are the Fine Arts and the Horta. The latter was the home of the architect and is a gorgeous example of Art Nouveau design. The neighborhood around it and quite a bit of central Brussels house other examples of that style. The Grand Place is lined with beautiful older buildings.

I think I remember doing a beer tour and tasting. Brussels has great food as well as beer. And, don’t forget the chocolate.
I wouldn’t devote so much time to Milan. You can do some great day trips from Venice; e.g., Verona, Vicenza, and Padova.

Posted by
15560 posts

I don't know what you are shopping for, but Milan is probably not the best place for it. Florence could be a better choice. It would help to know what you want to buy. I haven't been to Como but I bet it would be better as an overnight than a day trip, maybe even 2 nights. I think the Cinque Terre is too far (to be accurate - takes too much travel time) for a day trip. You could spend a night there. Leave Florence in the morning, and then take a late afternoon train to Milan. That gives you a good part of a day, a relaxing evening and another 1/2 day or so.

Posted by
107 posts

looking to buy one check-in luggage and one carry on suitcase. Tumi is an well-known brand. We also want to see different brands of suitcase as long as in good quality and light weight.

Does outlet only carry past clothing ? perhaps not worth take train outside of city for 1 hr. Agree ?

I don't have specific brand in mind, but hope to know where most shopping malls and outlet sell variety of clothing (european high-end brands and local brands, and watches.

Many posts suggested Foxtown Factory outlet, are they selling past season clothing only ?

We are going to the Maxmara outlet, can someone tells me where is it ?

Posted by
107 posts

Hi Chani,

Do you mean take train from Venice-Cinque Terre ( Staying 1-2N), then train to Florence, then Milan ? just to clarify. Thanks.

Posted by
15560 posts

Sorry for not being clearer. Leave Florence in the morning of "day 1." That gives you a full afternoon and evening in the CT. Stay overnight. Then you have the morning and early afternoon there as well on "day 2". Take a late afternoon train to Milan. Day 1 - sleep in CT, day 2 - sleep in Milan.

Posted by
107 posts

Hi Chani,

I made several changes.Here is my updated plan, booked venice for 3N Sept 14-16, departing 17th to Florence, stay 2 N (sept 17-18), CT
1-2N ( 19-20th), Milan 3 N ( Lake como a day trip, possible one night, remaining 2 days in Milan shopping). Better plan ?

Your above post suggested 1 night in CT, stay till after lunch then return to Florence. We probably not plan seeing all of 5 small islands. Perhaps we can stay only 1 N ?

Looking forward to hear your suggestion/feedback.

Posted by
15560 posts

No, I said to leave Florence, stay one night in CT and then go to Milan. I don't know what you mean by small islands

Posted by
15679 posts

Your above post suggested 1 night in CT, stay till after lunch then
return to Florence. We probably not plan seeing all of 5 small
islands. Perhaps we can stay only 1 N ?

Helen, you seem to be a bit confused about the CT or your use of "island" is just a language error? There are 5 villages perched along 7 miles of Italian coastline. They are not islands. You may travel between all of them in just minutes by train, and 4 of the 5 by ferry during the warmer months. Hiking one to another is also a possibility if one has the time and the physical ability to do so. Trails are generally very steep and some are relatively lengthy. Two shorter ones linking 3 of the villages (Corniglia>Manarola> Riomaggiore) are closed this season so longer routes would be necessary to travel between them on foot.

Posted by
107 posts

Thanks for explaining this and I understand it now, Chani.

Kathy, I mean “ villages” and I saw ricksteves’ CT on YouTube, it’s so colorful and lovely scenery. You said “3 of the villages (Corniglia>Manarola> Riomaggiore) are closed this season.

Q: close means not open for tourists ?

Q: is the other 2 (vernazza, Monterosso al more) remain open. We are going there in Sept, these 3 will remain close or open later ?

You said can get to villages by ferry, can you clarify.

Thank for taking time and explaining every question I posted, really appreciated.

Helen

Posted by
15679 posts

You said “3 of the villages (Corniglia>Manarola> Riomaggiore) are
closed this season.

No, I said two of the shorter trails between those three villages are closed. The villages themselves never close. If you're not intending to hike, then the trail situation makes no difference to your plans.

Ferry schedules between Riomaggiore, Manarola, Vernazza and Monterosso. Cornigila doesn't have a harbor so you'd use a train to get to that one.

https://cinqueterreinsider.com/2018/03/22/cinque-terre-ferry-schedules-2018/

Posted by
2097 posts

You said “3 of the villages (Corniglia>Manarola> Riomaggiore) are closed this season.
Helen, go back and read her post again. She said the foot path between the villages is closed, not the villages themselves.

Ferry travel is slower but potentially nicer way to get from one town to the other. They run during the time of year when the weather is nice - the Med can be nasty and stormy in the winter. October may be dicey.

Why Brussels? I have a friend who is an international flight attendant. She flies all over the world, to Sydney, Hong Kong, Amsterdam, Vienna, London, Brussels and other destinations. Of every place she flies, Brussels is her least favorite. It is dirty and she doesn't consider it very safe.

Posted by
19654 posts

@ DougMac, The OP has 18 threads running, and note that this one started a month ago. A lot of water has gone over the dam since it was first posted.

Posted by
19654 posts

@ DougMac, The OP has 18 threads running, and note that this one started a month ago. A lot of water has gone over the dam since it was first posted.

Posted by
2097 posts

Thanks for the heads up. I did some checking and I see what you mean. It all brings to mind a phrase we use down here in the South: "Bless her heart!"