Please sign in to post.

Oct 2010 Trip to Italy

We are headed to Italy next month for 3 weeks. Starting with Venice and ending in Amalfi. We arrive in Venice on a Saturday but expect by the time we get to our hotel it will be close to noon. We want to do a walking tour later that day and are interested in any suggestions for a small guided tour that afternoon/evening. Also interested in recommendations for a private tour guide. Thanks.

Posted by
11 posts

You could be us! We will be in Venice the very end of Sept arr. in the morn and figure we will also be at the hotel by noon. We will be about 10 walking minutes from the bus terminal(Piazzale Roma) . What we are planning is to go back up to the train terminal and take the 45 minute slow vaporetto #1 down the length of the canal (as described in Rick's book) then wander San Marcos. I understand you can enter the Basilica for free. A nice meal in the area then back to the hotel for a good nights sleep (hopefully). Perhaps someone else can comment and give ideas on tour guides.

Posted by
649 posts

Bev Been twice to Venice and in my opinion you do not need a tour guide. A good map and the idea of getting lost in the back streets is very appealing. You really will never be lost just ask for Rialto(bridge) or Canal and anyone will help you, as RS advice is spot on. Depending on your time frame - a trip to Murano or Burano is an option as well. I consider this one of the more facinating cities in Europe and a 6.30 in the morning going up the canal to the train station - with no traffic on the canal just a few delivery boats to restaurants, and the sun coming up was spectacular- I will be back again.

Posted by
348 posts

Really enjoyed the Pub Tour, It is in the rick steves book. Just have your hotel contact for you when you get in