Please sign in to post.

November in Italy

My last question was about crowds in November, but didn't think to ask about small towns being shut down. I keep reading that small towns are shut down in the winter months, but not really sure what that means. I will be visiting larger cities like Rome, Florence, and Bologna, but I also have 2 nights booked in Orvieto and a possible day trip from Bologna to Dozza.
Is it a bad idea to go to Orvieto in November? I checked the websites for the underground museum and archaeological museum and they both seem to be open all year round. (these museums are the reasons I wanted to visit). So what else would be closed? restaurants? churches?
This brings me to Dozza. This would be a day trip from Bologna. So 2 questions here. Same as above.. will it be "shut down" in November? Looks like the castle is open all year round also. And my next question is getting there. We were thinking of taking the train to Imola and taking a taxi to Dozza. Does this seem feasible or is there a better way? How much would a taxi be from Imola?

Posted by
1441 posts

We stayed in Orvieto in 2021 from November 3rd to the 7th and it was open as far as we could tell --- restaurants, museums, many shops, etc. It's possible that some shops were closed so that the owners go take a break between tourists in October and tourists for Christmas.

Posted by
3812 posts

Why should the 20,000 residents of Orvieto and the 7,000 living in Dozza stop going to restaurants, Churches and Museums for the all winter? Does it work this way in your country, the people that live in small towns and villages leave their houses only to go to work and to school for months? It sounds a little boring, if not a war-time curfew.

You'll see less tourists and more locals around, but neither Orvieto nor Dozza are seaside towns where the population increases by a factor of 10 during the summer months.