Please sign in to post.

Northern Italy trip May 2023

My husband and I are planning our Northern Italy trip from May1-15.
Milan - May 2nd-4th
Lake Como May4th-7th
Genoa May 7th
Santa Margarita May8th-11th-
Suggestions please of where to go from there.
We are flying out of Milan on the 15th.
We will be traveling by train
We have been to Rome Florence Siena Lucca& some smaller towns in Tuscany.
Where would you go from there knowing that we have to spend our last night May 14 in Milan
Thank you for your help

Posted by
3607 posts

Genoa is a reasonably short train ride from S. Margherita. If you are going there for only one day, it doesn’t make sense to waste time on changing lodgings. People can give you better advice if you say what kind of things interest you.

Posted by
2979 posts

Monterosso in the Cinque Terre is a direct 1h train ride away. Spend two nights there and explore all five towns before taking a direct train to Milan’s Centrale station (3h 30m).

Posted by
380 posts

Turin!! It’s absolutely beautiful (I’m told it’s often referred to as the Paris of Italy), lots to see and do, and an easy train ride to Milan.

Posted by
7339 posts

If you have some flexibility between Lake Como and Genoa, you might want one of the locations I stayed in June (6th trip to Italy) - Bergamo or Cremona. Or you could make either one the last city before Milan’s last night. Otherwise, Torino is a good option. I see you’ve been to Lucca, and I’m not a big fan of Pisa so won’t suggest those two. I love Stresa, but since you’re going to Lake Como, it’s too similar of an atmosphere to double up.

Night of Museums: One Saturday in mid-May, museums in many Italian cities are open late, often with free admission and special events - just in case this timing works out for you.

Here’s the info about Bergamo & Cremona:
https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/trip-reports/trip-report-please-do-not-comment-until-i-change-the-title-filling-in-the-report-thanks

Posted by
3051 posts

We were just in this area. We enjoyed Pisa, Padua, Siena, Ravenna, Turin, Firenza, and Milan.

1) Since you end in Milan, why spend 2 days at the start?
2) Padua has the Scrovengi Chapel, and several other good churches
3) Pisa is more than just the Leaning Tower.
4) Ravenna has mosaics from the 4-5th century. We enjoyed this very small town.

Posted by
381 posts

What about a few days in the Piedmont region? Alba is supposed to be absolutely beautiful.

Bergamo is also a lovely place to visit and close to Milan and Lake Como

Posted by
1321 posts

I agree with visiting Milan at the end before you fly home
I might do the loop starting
Turin
Asti
Genoa
Santa Margherita
Lake Como
Milan

Posted by
4 posts

That sounds perfect. We fly into Milan so I think one night to start instead of two . I love your itinerary.
Thank you