We were flying United Airlines to Northern Italy in early May but no longer feel optimistic given travel warnings. United's website is currently allowing change fee waivers for flights through April 30. If I'm reading it right, the flight must be rescheduled during the year after purchase. (I bought all segments of the tickets through United, but the Northern Italy segment is Luftansa. So I think any refund or change has to go through United.)
Has anyone managed to get a refund from United for an April or May flight to Northern Italy, or has anyone been given better options over the phone? I'm not able to wait until five days before the trip to see if the flight gets cancelled. I don't have viable dates for rescheduling, and anyway like everyone else don't know when the travel warnings will subside. I realize United is swamped with calls right now. This is why I was wondering if anyone already had gotten responses about May travel to Northern Italy, so maybe I can put off calling for a few weeks. I'm guessing there are a lot of people out there in my situation. Thanks in advance!
P.S. Not sure whether this belongs in Italy or transportation, so apologies if it's off topic.