Please sign in to post.

Northern Italy July 2024

Hello all! Our family of 4 (daughters ages 17 and 21) are traveling to Italy in late July for 9 nights. We are flying in and out of Milan. I have 4 nights booked in Venice and 4 nights in Lake Como and will book 1 night in Milan. Our trip starts in Venice and ends in Lake Como and can do 1 night in Milan at the beginning or the end. Lake Como is a must do for us - thoughts on Venice? Is it too far? Is there somewhere else we should consider that’s closer to Milan?
Thanks

Posted by
5395 posts

Venice is just a train ride from Milan, and we did that trip last May, 2023. We flew into Venice, stayed a few nights, and onto Lake Como. Keep Milan at the end as I'm assuming you're flying out of Milan?
Overall, those locations are considered very reasonable distances .
Safe travels!

Posted by
20905 posts

Venice is only 2 1/2 hours from Milan by frequent direct trains. Last time I did this, I landed at Malpensa about 9 am and was on a train to Venice at noon, and walked to my hotel by 3 pm right at check-in time. I would save a night in Milan for the end when you will need to head to Malpensa early to get your flight home.

I think your timing is perfect. From Venice, take a day trip to Padua to see the Scrovegni Chapel. In Lake Como, just relax and explore the lake towns.

Posted by
1026 posts

Hello andreaanzevino, and welcome to the forum!

Venice to Milan (where you will change trains to Como) is an easy 2.5 hours by fast train from Venice.

You should be looking into reserving fast train tickets soon for July because the earlier you book the better price you can get. It looks like both the companies that run fast trains - Trenitalia and .italo don't have tickets past June yet but when the schedule is set they will become available.
https://www.trenitalia.com/en.html
https://www.italotreno.it/en
You can search in May for an idea of prices and schedules. Fast trains come with specific times, assigned seats and 'classes' of tickets but for a short trip whether any class upgrade is worth it is up to you.

You will need tickets on Trenord - sold through Trenitalia - to get from Milan to Lake Como. The trains run pretty much hourly and it takes about an hour.

Venice is amazing and a unique city in the world and Como is beautiful. Do Milan one night before flying out.

Have a great trip,
=Tod

Posted by
20905 posts

Going straight to Venice after landing, I would just buy when you land as you can never be sure you land on time or get through immigration in a timely manner. Discount tickets are generally nonrefundable if you miss the train. I would definitely buy tickets in advance for Venice to Milan. Where are you planning to go on Lake Como?
Regional trains between Lake Como and Milan are always the same price.