Please sign in to post.

Northern Italy Itinerary Help

Hi. I’m planing 10 days in Northern Italy and would like opinions on my itinerary (which might be too ambitious)
Day 1 - Arrive in Milan early morning - visit Duomo, relaxing day (I’m not very interest in Milan)
Day 2 - Day trip from Milan on Bernina Express red train
Day 3 - Bergamo. I love ancient cities. Undecided if I should just do a day trip from Milan or stay overnight. << need opinions
Day 4 - train to Desenzano del Garda to rent a car . Drive to Limone Del Garda hotel.
Day 5 - explore lake Garda or day road trip to Balzano
Day 6 - continue stay in lake Garda
Day 7 - return car to Desenzano del Garda, take train to Verona. Check into Verona hotel
Day 8 - train to Venice
Day 9 - Venice
Day 10 - Depart Venice to JFK

wondering if I should consolidate Verona/Venice??
I’m excited to see Venice but have heard from some it’s either love or hate.

Posted by
333 posts

It would be such a shame to miss The Last Supper in Milan. You don't have to be an art lover to appreciate it, and because they are pretty strict on the amount of people allowed in at a time, it's a much more enjoyable experience than most big art museums.

I'll let others comment on the lakes; I've only done Como. But Venice is a very unique city and not to be missed. Unless you're going in the heat of the summer? (I've heard it can be smelly and crowded then; we loved it in April) What do you mean consolidate Verona/Venice? They aren't close together.

I think your trip is possible but the end is kind of hectic.

Posted by
27609 posts

Bolzano is closer to Verona than to Desenzano, so if you want to see it, you should do it from Verona by train. I wouldn't, however; you're moving around so much I'm not sure you're going to fully any of the places you're going.

I don't think 1-1/2 days is enough time for Venice. People who make very short trips there end up spending all their time as part of the mob around Piazza San Marco and the Rialto Bridge. You need to have time to explore the back canals where you can be lost in the medieval atmosphere with no other visitors in sight.

The Bernina Express doesn't seem a reasonable day trip from Milan. It takes 6-3/4 hours to get to Chur from Milan. That's one way.

Posted by
22 posts

Thanks Amanda.

Good point about the last supper.
By consolidating Verona and Venice, I meant perhaps stay in one place or the other and just take a day trip.

Posted by
329 posts

Day 3 - Stay overnight in Bergamo.
Day 7 - Skip Verona and go to Venice. Verona is nice, but not comparable with Venice, so you get 2.5 days in Venice. And I wouldn’t day trip from Venice to Verona.

Posted by
5395 posts

When is this?
You need to either add more days or drop a location. You will be seeing the inside of trains with this itinerary. As much as I like the Bernina Express route, that is just too much for one day, so drop it.
Also, what if your flight is delayed or canceled? You need to add an extra day at the beginning, just in case. It has happened to me several times, post-COVID.
Hopefully you don't have an early flight out of Venice, as it's difficult to get to the airport early. Perhaps flip your trip, start in Venice, and add more days. Don't rely on "I heard....." watch u-tube videos, RS videos, and do your research based on your interests. I have been to Venice three times and plan to return in 2025.
Have a great time planning. Get a map, research realistic travel times, let yourself feel that you're actually in a location. Safe travels!

Posted by
11631 posts

If you want to ride the Bernina Express, look at flying into Zurich and going immediately to Chur for one night, then take the train south and on to Milan.