Please sign in to post.

Northern Italy itinerary

Hello,
I'm planning to visit Italy from the 20th to the 27th of June. My brother resides in Bologna, so I anticipate staying there for 2 days. Afterwards, we're keen on exploring the North of Italy, with a possible excursion to the Swiss Alps.
We're open to either taking guided tours of popular historical sites like Florence and Venice, or indulging in nature by exploring remote villages in Tuscany or going hiking.
We're comfortable with renting a car or using trains and buses for transportation.
I'd greatly appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.

Posted by
6561 posts

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Where are you flying home from?
You’ll want to be in that city night before your departure flight

Looks like you have 6 nights and at least 3 will be spent in Bologna? ( a 3 night stay gives you 3 full days)
Are you flying in to Bologna?

Posted by
3 posts

Hello Christine,
Thank you for your attention and assistance.
My flight departs from Amsterdam to Venice in the evening on the 19th of June, and my return flight is scheduled for the early morning of the 28th of June from Venice. This gives me a total of 8 full days.

Posted by
6561 posts

You’ll need to be in Venice night before departure flight. If you have not been to Venice - give it 3 nights if you can
Since you arrive in the evening I guess you could stay in Venice 1 night, or consider Padua so that you don’t have to split Venice stay ( put all Venice nights at end)

There are so many great towns in that area- Verona, Vicenza, Padua, Ferrara, Ravenna and of course Bologna. Closer to Bologna are Modena, Parma. All are worth a few nights.
All easily done by train, wouldn’t really need or want a car

Do you have to be at your brother’s on a certain day?

Read up on these towns here, see what interests you. You will need to supplement your research with a good guide book, not all are covered here.
RS doesn’t include Bologna at all
https://www.ricksteves.com/europe/italy

Posted by
3 posts

Awesome! Thanks, Christine!
I need to do my homework and have a look at link and read Rick's reviews and recommendations!