Please sign in to post.

Northern Italy itinerary advice

Hello Forum Folks,

This is my first time posting here, nice to make your acquaintances!

My husband and I (33-years old) have just begun planning a summer trip to northern Italy and while we have only just begun I find myself in need of a bit of advice from knowledgable travelers of the area. Here’s what we’ve got so far:

• July 4: land in Milan, heading straight for Varenna in Lake Como
  • July 6: leave Varenna, going east to the Dolomites
  • July 8: go south to stay in a villa somewhere about Tuscany (not sure exactly where yet; probably no further south than Florence)
  • July 13: head north, back to Milan
  • July 15: fly home

While in Tuscany, we will visit the surrounding towns–especially Florence. I’m worried this might be a bit much (is it?), but we also don’t want to pass up the opportunity to see the Dolomites which is the leg of this itinerary that I am considering doing away with.

Also, we plan to rent a car for the parts of the trip and ride the train for others. For example, we will be taking the train from Milan to Varenna while driving from Varenna to Dolomites (should we go) to Tuscany as I’ve read areas such a as these are better driven.

At any rate, here are a few questions I have:

• Is this the best route for traveling to these parts of Italy?
  • Is there a particular Tuscan town or city which is advantageous to stay in, considering we’d like to take day trips to nearby towns?
  • Is it recommended to use a car from Varenna to Dolomite, Dolomites to Tuscany? Should we take the train back from Tuscany (or Florence), going back to Milan?
  • Does anyone have a villa recommendation the Tuscany area (not too much further south than Florence)?

We are also aware we will be visiting during a very busy season and special advice for summer and any other recommendations is welcomed.

Kindly,

V

Posted by
6990 posts

Welcome to the forum! V!

July 4: land in Milan, heading straight for Varenna in Lake Como July
6: leave Varenna, going east to the Dolomites July 8: go south to stay
in a villa somewhere about Tuscany (not sure exactly where yet;
probably no further south than Florence) July 13: head north, back to
Milan July 15: fly home

11 nights- you are trying to cover too much ground

You will really only have 1 full day in Varenna. I would drop Dolomites and give Varenna another night.
From there take train to Florence- if you want to see Florence then stay in Florence- 2 nights. (If you are in the countryside you do NOT want to drive into Florence)
Rent car as you leave Florence and drive to your villa. Most places that folks want to visit in Tuscany are south of Florence- Siena, Montepulciano, Pienza etc.
Choose a town to be near- we like Montepulciano and Pienza/Val D'Orcia area- stay 4 nights then drop your car in Chiusi and take train back to Milan.

Varenna 3 nights
Florence 2 nights
Tuscany town 4 nights
Milan 2- if you have interest here- otherwise 1 night is enough as you will need to be here night before departure

It will be very hot! I'd want AC and a place with a pool in Tuscany.

Do your homework on driving in ITaly- ZTLs, speed cameras, parking etc. It is a delight to drive around Tuscany that is only place you need a car
All drivers will need an IDP- International Driving Permit- get this at your local AAA

Posted by
11636 posts

Welcome to the Forum!

“The Dolomites” cover a lot of territory but regardless of exactly where in the mountains you choose to go, it is too far for only two nights and one full day. Since mountain weather is so capricious, what if you one day there is raining?

What do you want to do, see, and experience? Are you outdoorsy people? Active? Want to lay by a pool at a villa? Since July is so hot, perhaps a better combo is Lake Como and 5 nights in the Dolomites but fewer in Tuscany (again, a large area). Getting an itinerary and lodging ASAP is imperative as July is busy, and an especially book-in-advance season in the mountains.

But if the mountains are not calling you, ditch this leg as you seem inclined to do and focus on the other two areas. You do not need a car for Varenna and can easily take trains to a Tuscan city or town where you can rent a car for that portion. I would definitely take the train back to Milan. So much more relaxing than driving.

Posted by
3 posts

@ChristineH, I really appreciate the explanation! And thank you for the tie bits about AC (we are definitely aiming to have a pool) and driving considerations. Very helpful!

@Laurel, we are outdoorsy people but the name of the game for this trip is definitely more on leisure. And while even rain in the mountains sounds gorgeous, I think we will scrap the Dolomites as you rightly presumed! Also, thank you for affirming the info about train versus driving. We do love a good train ride but will definitely rent a car for the Tuscan leg.

Thanks everyone for the responses and for the welcomes thus far. As Laurel pointed out, it’s busy season, and we know the need to get this nailed down is critical. So your suggestions have helped us to do so! :)