Please sign in to post.

Northern Italy in April.

Hello Italy folks.

I'm just starting to plan a trip to Northern Italy for April 2017 for me, my wife and our 13 year old daughter. I am hoping that someone who has been there that time of year might be able to give me advice as to the weather and especially whether we will find restaurants/hotels closed for the "off" season. We have been to Paris and Madrid in past Aprils and found the weather cool but nice for touring. I am wondering, though, about seaside towns like Portofino and Rapallo and Lake District towns. Will our choices be limited? Must I let go of daydreams of sipping coffee at waterside cafes?

I would be grateful for any advice or personal experiences.

Thanks.

Bob

Posted by
405 posts

Hello Bob, I haven't been to the places you mentioned in April, but since your questions has gone unanswered so far, perhaps you could try searching for hotels and "Things to do" on Tripadvisor & looking at reviews from people who stayed there in April. There will probably be some comments that will be helpful. Hope this helps!

Posted by
11613 posts

My experience with the lakes and shore towns is that resort-type places (not cities per se) are seasonal; you can stroll beach areas but most vacation-type restaurants and beach facilities may be closed. Places further from a beach area (torn historic center) will be open.

April can be cool during the day and definitely cool at night (light jacket day or evening). It can also be rainy and even foggy (some mornings). But it can also be quite sunny snd warm.

Check one of the weather sites online for projections.