Please sign in to post.

Northern Italy

Help! Starting planning trip to Northern Italy and not sure of my travel plans. Flying into Florence mid-Oct. for 2 weeks and want to go to C.Terra, Milan and Lake Como area. Also would like to spend couple of days in Switzerland. Have to fly in and out of Florence. Would appreciate any help! Thanks

Posted by
7737 posts

Do you have a copy of the RS Italy book? It's a great place to start.

Posted by
14 posts

Yes I do. Went to Florence and Tuscany a couple of years ago. Just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas about going into Switzerland and in what order. C. Terra
then Switzerland then go to Lake Coma. Just starting to plan now.

Posted by
23 posts

See my post today on the query following yours about a Northern Italy Itinerary.
Cheers, Tom

Posted by
348 posts

Does Switzerland mean Zurich or Lucerne or Lugano?
We stayed on Lake Lugano with a day trip to Varenna on Como and day trip into Lugano City

Posted by
23319 posts

Why do you have to fly in and out of Florence. For what you are suggestion, an open jaw tickets makes more sense.

Posted by
14 posts

Thanks for the replys. I'm flying in and out of Florence due to using points. I was thinking of going to C Terra, Milan, Lake Como then Switzerland and back to Florence. I've been to Florence before so we can visit in the tail end of trip. Is Turin something we should fit in? All your help is appreciated. Thanks

Posted by
8170 posts

Florence is not really the best Northern Italy airport to fly to from the U.S. I assume you'll not have a non-stop flight from the U.S. For your itinerary, it would be much better to fly into Pisa on an open jawed ticket, and fly home from Milananother popular international airport. This would be no more expensive than flying into and out of the same city. The Cinque Terre is NW of Pisa about an hour, and is best reached by train. Florence is an hour east of Pisa, and is another destination often reached by train. You also can take a train out of Florence up to Milan and an hour beyond to the Lake Como area. The train also services the towns in Switzerland, and could take you back into Milan. We're flying into London, taking a EasyJet flight to Pisa and flying home from Rome (after Easter.) Our flight ran $705total. Have a great trip!