Please sign in to post.

Northern Italy

Hi,

I am working in Brescia soon. After I am looking to take some personal time in Northern Italy. I will be there from Fri-Wed. Here are my tentative plans. Any suggestions on them? Any suggestions on tours, must sees, must visit...? What did you like best about these places? Day trips? Should I change anything?

Fri-Sat - Verona; Sun-Mon - Mantova; Mon-Tues - Bologna or Parma

Thanks!

Posted by
27163 posts

A couple of other geographically-convenient destinations, though I'm not suggesting they're better than what you've already planned, since I've only been to Bologna and liked it a lot:

• Bergamo has a very atmospheric medieval district on a hill. It's a quick trip west of Brescia.

• Vicenza is known for Palladian architecture. The historic area is flat and open, giving it a very different feeling. It's beyond Verona.

Of course, you're also very close to Lake Garda, but I imagine it might be chilly, drafty and damp at this time of year.

Not too many folks get to Brescia; I hope you'll tell us what you thought about it after you return.

Posted by
396 posts

I love Verona and Bologna. Lots to see and do. The food in Bologna is fantastic. Great, vibrant city with a large university so lots of young people and a good night life. I loved walking the archways, climb one of the towers for a great view of the city, and the San Petrino church with the meridian line was a great stop....in the piazza with Neptunes Fountain.
Verona has the ampitheatre, two great piazzas...Bra and Erbe. Lots of good walking tours over the bridges that span the Adige River. Good churches and museums.
I stay at the San Donato in Bologna (on via Zamboni) and the Aurora ( on piazza del erbe) in Verona..