Please sign in to post.

Northern Italy

My husband and I are spending two weeks in northern Italy. One of the weeks is at a villa in Tuscany. The other week, we're planning to spend 2 nights in Cinque Terre, 1 day in Portofino but we have 2 days still open for suggestion.
We are considering staying near San Remo and making one day trip north to Sacra Di San Michele near Torino and the other day trip to Monaco or Nice. Should we skip San Remo and just head north to Torino?

Posted by
10177 posts

I also loved Verona. There is so much to see there. Get the Verona Card, which will give you free admission to a lot of sites. We saw places we hadn't considered because of them being covered by the card and they were very interesting.

Posted by
441 posts

Darlene,
One of my favorite cities in Northern Italy is Verona. The Arena was built under Caesar Augustus and is in use now for concerts and operas. I love N. Italy!

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks for the tip about Verona - it wasn't a place we had considered until now.

Posted by
3 posts

We're heading to Lake Como for 2 nights after staying in CT, we were told we can't go to Italy without going to both of those places.

Posted by
396 posts

I agree with Larry! I am a Northern Italy girl. I love Verona and would suggest Bologna as another good stop. I also love Lake Maggiorie and have spent time in Stresa, Baveno and Cannobio. Much to do around the lake...scenic train and boat rides. A wonderful island with a great restaurant to visit for a meal is in the lake just off of Stresa. Not as "touristy" as Como but I love it. Turin is a great city, as well. Let me know if you want any hotel/restaurant recommendations. I have also visited my grandparents small villages in Northern Italy if you are looking for some quaint small towns to visit.