Please sign in to post.

Northern Italy

Hello, We are leaving September 14th for three weeks to tour Northern Italy. We have already set aside a week for Cinque Terre and the riviera, and a few days for Venice. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for short (1-3 or 4 days) into Switzerland, and also if anyone is familiar with the Dolomites? Is the area worth a tour? What are some of the prettiest villages in the region. We would like a nice mix of history, charm, and activity.

Posted by
3 posts

Thank you so much for your helpful replies! I am busy looking in to your suggestions now.

Posted by
16359 posts

Hi Elizabeth---I made a few suggestions for Switzerland on your "to the West" thread. I'll post here about the Dolomites. This is a beautiful area dotted with pretty villages, and crammed with spectacular scenery. Well worth a viisit. We have been to the Val Gardena, Val Badia, and Alpe di Siusi areas, and I would be hard-pressed to pick a favorite among those. Fantastic hiking is available in all three areas. And need I mention the food? September is a great time to visit, as crowds have subsided and prices have dropped (it is no longer "high season") It would be good to have a car for a few days, although the area is well-served by buses if you would rather not.

Posted by
15593 posts

Verona is worth 2-3 days. I've heard that Varenna is also very nice. Ravenna is worth the time and trouble to get there.

Posted by
653 posts

Padova is about 1/2 hour out of Venice, excellent day trip. You need advance reservations for the Scrovegni Chapel (you can spend 15 minutes with Giotto's magnificent frescoes), and the whole city is just great. Ravenna is well worth the train ride as well. These two places will definitely fit the history/charm and activity requirements.

Posted by
7737 posts

We were in both Verona and Padova this past May. Absolutely loved both. Here are some of the reasons: Verona May 2011 for three nights and Padova May 2011 for the day on our way to Venice I've also heard wonderful things about Bergamo. It's on our list for May 2013. (^_^)