Please sign in to post.

Northern Italy

I am flying in/out of Milan in March and looking for two locations nearby to spend six nights. I was leaning towards 2 nights in Cinque Terre and four nights in Florence. Is this a good plan? Or should I swap out Cinque Terre with somewhere else? Any recommendations are greatly appreciated. We've been to Venice, Rome, Lake Como and Verona ... hoping to try somewhere new.

Any recommendations for private tours in/out of Florence? Is it better to rent a car/driver to Chianti region or should we just book a private/small group tour?

Thank you!

Posted by
3607 posts

With just 6 nights I would just stay in Florence. You could do some day trips, for example to Lucca and Pisa, or even a Chianti tour, without spending any of your limited time on moving locations.

Posted by
894 posts

Advantage of CT in March, no cruise ships/tourists! Disadvantages: weather can be stormy, rain. Ferries not running. Many of the hotels and restaurants shuttered, especially in the smaller villages; hiking trails also closed.

Posted by
701 posts

Torino? Genoa? Limit travel time and be closer to Milan.

Posted by
6221 posts

You’ll need to stay in Milan night before departure.

Go directly to Florence or consider Bologna 4 or 5 nights
Back to Milan for 1 or 2 -especially if you have any interest in the Last Supper

Posted by
2 posts

Sorry, I should have mentioned we have also been to Milan many times and I will be there for work for a week prior to these six days of vacation.

Understood weather can be iffy in March in Cinque Terre which is the main reason I am questioning it.

Was also considering Bologna or Genoa or Chianti region... thoughts on these?

Posted by
11218 posts

Chianti region is wonderful. We have stayed there four times. Rent a car in Florence, drive to a Chianti town and stay there.

Posted by
8171 posts

The C/T is more of a Summer place to visit. From Milan north to Lake Como area is hit or miss for March. Sometimes it's nice, and sometimes it's still winter. An alternative place to visit might be Lucca if you're want a quiet place.

We were in Florence (and Rome) in June for the umpteenth time, and I'm just tired of crowds--and labor strikes by train workers. We're more of the rent a car and see the countryside types.

Posted by
1373 posts

Last year we visited the Cinque Terre from March 20-23. We also visited a couple of other riveria towns. The weather was sunny and it wasn't crowded. If the weather was rainy we would have been more limited (we did the hikes for each town referenced in the Rick Steves guidebook) but still would have had a great time.

Posted by
3 posts

If you enjoy good food, Bologna is a must. It's a 1 hour 14' train ride from Milan. It's also a beautiful city, but what city in Italy isn't?