Please sign in to post.

Northern Italy

My husband and I are traveling to Tuscany for a wedding in June 2024. We're looking for a 5-ish day itinerary leading up to the wedding. We love the idea of being off the beaten path (while still feeling like we're on vacation!). We want to have lots of good food and spend time outside enjoying the summer weather. We love the idea of Lake Como but feel it may be too busy... if you had 5 days, what would you do?

Posted by
11499 posts

We have spent as long as two weeks in Bellagio on Lake Como. There are quiet areas away from large numbers of tourists. Look a map of the town when picking out your apartment or hotel.
Other lakes, Lake Maggiore, we stayed on SÉ side in Ranco, lovely, away from tourist centers.Recommended by Italian friend.
On Lake Garda, Italian friends recommended lovely Saló on SW part of lake. No others from the U.S. seen, mostly Italian and German. We also stayed in Malcesine, more tourists but nice location on lakefront.

Posted by
705 posts

I like the towns around the north of Lago di Garda. Limone sul Garda and Riva del Garda are very attractive, also Malcesine. I also like History traveller's suggestion, north of Garda up to Vipiteno. That area is beautiful and is a mixture of Austrian and Italian. If you have never been there I would strongly consider it. I very much enjoyed Trento and Bolzano. I have done two trips up that way using Trento as a base and doing daytrips from there.. Also look at Merano. All are on train lines. if you want to stay closer to Tuscany consider Brescia and nearby Lake Iseo. Will be far less crowded and not on the international tourist radar as much as Como or Garda. Although Brescia is a city its historical center is very compact and has a great museum, archeological ruins, a castle, beautiful old cathedrals and great piazzas. For me it was an unexpected gem. Have you been to Bergamo? Mantova? Verona? Arezzo? Gubbio? So many beautiful places to explore and so hard to decide.

Posted by
50 posts

Bellagio can be touristy, but is so beautiful.

I was there in late June / early July. Two things I did there that I have such great memories of:

• I took the ferry to Varenna, and walked to the Villa Cipressi. The setting that time of year was unbelievably gorgeous, with the gardens in full bloom.
  • I rented a motorboat in Bellagio and drove around the lake for a couple hours. That way we got to see the swanky villas up close.