Please sign in to post.

Northern Italy 7 night Honeymoon - September 2017

We have just booked flights in/out of Venice for September honeymoon - 7 nights - want to concentrate on northern Italy so looking at Venice, possibly some of the Lake areas, Florence/Tuscany or Cinque Terre (we would like to see Pisa on day trip). We need some sightseeing and some relaxation and do not want to 1 night hop the entire trip - thinking maybe a 4 night/ 3 night itinerary or a 3 night/2 night/2 night split. We travel quite frequently and are familiar with train system but do not plan to rent a car.

Posted by
4873 posts

Just a thought. After the stress associated with most weddings you may really want (and need) to wind down, relax, and not go scurrying about from place to place. If you really want to chill out, fly into Milan (or Venice) and take the train to Lake Como. Spend a couple or three days there and then head to Venice. Or you could spend the whole time based in Venice and do two or three day trips from there. Some that come to mind are Verona, a trip to the islands of Murano & Burano, and Padua.

Posted by
11613 posts

You could daytrip or overnight in Ferrara. If you are there on a Saturday, go to the courtyard of the city hall and watch the wedding parties come down the staircase (I once saw six in one afternoon), while I enjoyed a afternoon coffee break).

Posted by
1829 posts

If you want a honeymoon and some relaxation pick 2 locations not 3
Pair Venice with 1 other from your list: Lake Como or other lake, Florence or other Tuscan town, Cinque Terre
You could make any of them work with Venice and 7 nights.
Ideally you could switch the flight to an open jaw to fly into or out of Venice and into or out of somewhere else depending on which other place you pick.

If you must see Pisa (which I don't think you must) than a lake region makes 2 locations hard to include Pisa but could with Florence or Cinque Terre - CT if seeing Pisa on way in or way out only.
The piazza in Pisa is beautiful but so are many other equally beautiful piazza's throughout Italy which you will be skipping so wouldn't be too worried about skipping Pisa and really wouldn't recommend going far out of your way to see it.

4/3 split works well for some relaxation that I don't think 3/2/2 would especially with some decent travel times involved per location, carrying your bags around on trains and checking in and out 3 times.