Please sign in to post.

Northern Italy

My husband and I are going to the Dolomites this fall.Does
anyone have any tips or suggestions for us? We are coming by train from Germany and thought we would start in Bolzano.We have ten days and are not sure what to see and
where to stay.Any ideas?
Thanks, Melissa

Posted by
3595 posts

We stayed in Castelrotto at the Cavallino d'Oro Hotel in June. We paid 88 euros/night for an attractive room, which included a very extensive breakfast buffet. Service was first rate. Bus service in the region is very good and inexpensive. Behind the hotel and down a flight of stairs is a regional bus terminal. For 2.50 euros pp each way we got to Bolzano in about 45 minutes. Be sure to go to the Museo Archaelogico to see the Oetzi the Iceman exhibit. We booked a bus tour of the Great Dolomites Road at the TI office in Castelrotto for 24 euros pp. It left from the same bus terminal and was fabulous. We never would have seen as much on our own. There is also a Strada da Vino, which we explored a bit in our car. The TI office in Appiano has good information about the many castles in the area and hikes you can take. Many good hiking areas can be accessed by taking either ski lifts or funniculars from towns. Check out the Cadogan Guide for N.E. Italy for more ideas.

Posted by
850 posts

Will you rent a car upon arrival in Bolzano? While in Bolzano I would recommend going to The South Tyrol Museum and give Otzi the ice man a visit.
If you rent a car I would suggest driving the Great Dolomite Road. Rick Steves gives the route in his Italy book. We drove it in May and the scenery is stunning. We did not have reservations and found a place above Castelrotto at the Alpi Di Suisi, the largest high Alpine meadow in Europe. We drove to Compatsch which is located above Castelrotto but you could stay in Castelrotto and take the lift up to Alpi di Siusi. Lift was closed in May. From there on to the Great Dolomite Road. Pleanty of nice towns to stay. We stayed at Canazei which is a good base for the Dolomites. Don't know what the weather will be when you go so that could possibly cause a problem for driving. In May it was nice but they did have a late snow ust a week or so befor we got there but the roads were fine for us. Sounds like a great trip.