Please sign in to post.

Northern Italy?

My fiance and I will be getting married in Italy this June. We will be going to Milan, Cinque Terra, Florence, Rome, Venice and back to Milan. We have 2 days between Venice and flying out of Milan and would like recommendations on where to go in between? I have been to Bologna but never the dolomites or the lake area. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Posted by
1540 posts

I would recommend Lucca. Small walled town with several tall towers you can climb. You can rent a bike and ride around the top of the city wall (or walk). I was there 3 nights on a tour (we also did day trip to the huge Villas in the area outside Lucca.)
There are lots of comments on this forum about Lucca.
Happy Travels.
PS also stayed a few days at Lake Orta on an RS Village Italy tour - another great place.

OOPS went and looked at the map and see that Lucca is really not in the area you are looking...... but Padua is a thought.. Verona, I look at the map and just dream :)

Posted by
10 posts

Thank you for the suggestion. I guess we would like to find something between Venice and Milan geographic wise so that we would not have to travel back down to Lucca and then back up to Milan.

Thank you

Posted by
11126 posts

Verona and or Lake Garda would be easy to include. The Dolomites are spectacular and we enjoyed staying in Ortisei. We drove there and returned via shores of Lake Garda staying in Saló on the way north and Malcesine returning south.

Posted by
677 posts

Look at Sirmione on Lake Garda or Verona.

Posted by
1321 posts

I think Bellagio is one of the most romantic places I have ever been - I would highly recommend two nights there on your honeymoon!

Posted by
4 posts

I am traveling from Milan to Lake Garda, Venice, Florence , Portofino , back to milan. Our trip is planned so we do not double back over any towns. Florence we are planning on day trips and rented a car. If you want to get the most of the lakes area ,I suggest Lake Como, You will get the best of both Lakes and the Alps.. you can also do a day trip to St. Moritz. It's an easy trip by train from Milan .